Don Gfell Educational Center Milan OH fundraiser

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Don Gfell Educational Center Milan OH fundraiser

Post by Stephen_Madara »

Don Gfell to be forever memorialized in Milan Ohio.

Don was a big influence to me in life and phonograph collecting.

The Edison Birthplace put out a press release announcing their fundraising effort to complete this project. I hope the phonograph and Edison community will get behind this project to honor the memory of Don. Thank you Stephen Madara

For Immediate Release‍

Contact: Robert Wheeler, Birthplace President, director@tomedison.org

---

On the 100th anniversary of Thomas Edison’s last trip to his hometown of Milan, Ohio on August 11, 1923, the Edison Birthplace Museum is thrilled to announce plans for a major addition to his humble birthplace with a kick-off capital fundraising campaign to bring the Don Gfell Education Center to life.

The late Don Gfell, a lifelong educator from Milan and Edison aficionado, left his mark on Edison’s hometown and in the National Statuary Hall where, thanks in large part to Don, a statue of his hero stands in the U.S. Capital. Gfell, a consummate teacher who loved captivating students with hands-on Edison exhibits, amassed a priceless collection of Edison inventions.

The Birthplace Museum hopes to display some of those incredible items and incorporate hands-on exhibits, including sound recording and playback and electrical experiments, to amaze visitors. The project involves extensive reconstruction of an existing museum building to accommodate the new attractions and added traffic.

The spark of electricity is in the air over the planned Gfell Education Center at the Edison Birthplace Museum. See an architect’s rendering of the exciting addition here. The fundraising goal to make it happen is $100,000 and starts today.

Contributions can be made online, at Croghan Bank Milan, or at the Edison Birthplace, PO Box 451, Milan, Ohio 44846.

All checks can be made out to Edison Birthplace Association.

Fonotone
Victor II

Re: Don Gfell Educational Center Milan OH fundraiser

Post by Fonotone »

Wow, this is great, Stephen. Here's the link for online contributions: https://checkout.square.site/merchant/M ... VGCEX2LMK3

-- Grant
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Thanks, Stephen for bringing this to our attention, and Grant, for providing the link. I just made a donation and hope that everybody who does so will make a post here, so that the topic keeps jumping to the top. It's the least we can do in memory of such a great fellow.

Raphael

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

It was my pleasure to make a contribution to this wonderful cause.

Rich Gordon

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Thank you, Rich. I hope more members here can do the same.

Raphael

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Raphael wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:34 pm Thank you, Rich. I hope more members here can do the same.

Raphael
Well, one more member did--I just sent a bit for the cause.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Thank you. I hope more of the TMF members will step up to the plate. Don helped many, many people here.

Raphael

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Just donated. Great opportunity to give thanks.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Thanks, Ken. Every donation counts and if nothing else, shows our love and respect for this great man.

I spoke with Bobbie Gfell today and she told me that she will be donating a number of Edison machines to the Center.

Raphael

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Maybe people are on vacation or something but it shocking that in 4 days only $1210 has been raised. Maybe the Antique Phonograph Society can put an add in their next issue to spread the word.

Rich Gordon