1912 Vitaphone Stock subscription

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fmblizz
Victor IV

1912 Vitaphone Stock subscription

Post by fmblizz »

Picked this up recently on Ebay. I believe this is from the original Vitaphone Company that was in New Jersey, not the Vitaphone Sound Film Co. from later on.. NJ is not mentioned on the certificate anywhere but I thought they originated in New Jersey and had a subsidiary company somewhere in Canada.

Any input would be appreciated.

Blizz
Attachments
vitaphone.jpg

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Re: 1912 Vitaphone Stock subscription

Post by mrrgstuff »

Maybe not relevant but here is a video I found about the Canadian operation. There is a website also with more detail.

https://youtu.be/mdZTptImR_M?si=vloSlBHPH8V6A5_G

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

Hmmm.... Did the company originate in Delaware? I see a reference near the top that Delaware was the original state it was Incorporated....

- Chris
- Chris
Licensed Funeral Director (NC/VA) Historian, Collector, Enthusiast.....

Author of: Norfolk's Greatest Home Furnishers: The Story of Phillip Levy & Co. and The Granby Phonograph

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

this is the reverse side.. I always thought the company was based in New Jersey..

blizz
Attachments
vitaback22.jpg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Delaware always had very favorable corporate laws, so many companies are incorporated in Delaware - be it just with a mailbox :lol:

Andreas

Granby
Victor II
Personal Text: The Granby Phonograph Historian

Post by Granby »

Ok, I follow now.... You're right, everything on the document appears to point to New York, not New Jersey (other than the state of original incorporation). I will pause and see if any others might want to chime in - who have historical knowledge about this particular company....

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

They may have had offices in NY but the factory was here in Plainfield, NJ (where I have lived for the past 34 years). As the obituary indicates he went into the palm oil business after ceasing production of Vitaphone. At the time Plainfield was a major commercial area in the NJ suburbs and home to many wealthy businessmen. He lived here in Plainfield and is buried in the local cemetery. So far I have managed to acquire 5 Vitaphones (with one of them being Canadian). I like to bring them back to where they were made—the site of the factory is about a mile from me.

Bill Havlena