What are the best 2 and 4 min cylinders?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
KCW
Victor II

What are the best 2 and 4 min cylinders?

Post by KCW »

I know this is highly subjective, but what are your absolute favorite two and four minute cylinders? I feel like I occasionally will blindly buy some new titles because they sound, based on the title alone, interesting. Then, I realize that some, if not most of these old tunes are pretty bad! Every now and then I find one that I absolutely love! A few examples are

Down at the old swimming hole

https://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/sear ... +hole&nq=1

Come along little girl come along, great harmonies!

https://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/deta ... 6&r=1&of=2

For the second one, I actually prefer the Edison version, but USCB only has the Columbia version. I played my Edison version so often I foolishly left it on the mandrel and it cracked! I still have it but would love another copy but have never found one.

Anyhow, curious to see what other people like, I’d love to find another gem out there that I’ve never heard before!

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Re: What are the best 2 and 4 min cylinders?

Post by Chuck »

"Fawn Eyes, Played by the Edison Symphony Orchestra!" :rose:
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

MisterGramophone
Victor I
Personal Text: I love shellac!

Post by MisterGramophone »

Great 2 minute cylinders are ‘The Hymns of the Old Church Choir’ by Frank C. Stanley and ‘Hello Central, Give Me Heaven’ by Joe Natus. Great 4 minute cylinders are ‘The Battle Hymn of the Republic’ by Frank C. Stanley and ‘Pagliacci’ by Thomas Chalmers.
Last edited by MisterGramophone on Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gramophone :pig:

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

One of my favorite wax Amberols is "By The Light Of The Silvery Moon Medley",played by the New York Military Band, number 574.It was never put on the Blue.Also, Indestructible 2 minute 744,"When You Steal A Kiss Or Two",sung by Ada Jones and Billy's Murray.edisonplayer.

ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

Good topic.

On the Edison black wax I've found a 10,000 series called " Wild Cherry". For in its day was getting close to jazz.

For four minute cylinders. Again on Edison, "I'm The Guy" by Billy Murray. And a 5000 series called " Hallelujah I'm a Bum"............. Both stick in your head the rest of the week. Fun reflective tunes

ColoadoPhonograf