Edison machine?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MisterGramophone
Victor I
Personal Text: I love shellac!

Re: Edison machine?

Post by MisterGramophone »

howardpgh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:18 pm Would the open horn machine pictured been a "Proof of Concept" type model? Just made up to show that the Diamond Discs would play.
Knowing other things Edison did in this era, it isn’t unlikely.
Gramophone :pig:

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

howardpgh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:18 pm Would the open horn machine pictured been a "Proof of Concept" type model? Just made up to show that the Diamond Discs would play.
I agree it's possible, though so far, no documentation to support this has been found that I know of.

There WAS a patent granted for an internal horn Edison Disc phonograph, similar in concept to the outside horn model, in that it used a conventional style "sound box" with the diaphragm positioned to face forward (used by Pathé and others) to play the Diamond Disc records -- https://patents.google.com/patent/US118 ... on)&page=1

Since all of the production DD phonograph models were equipped with modified versions of the reproducers used on the Edison Amberola, I find this interesting--even though no one else did....
Screenshot 2024-01-26 131753.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-26 131824.jpg
Last edited by OrthoFan on Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indestructible
Victor I
Personal Text: Going through life at 160 RPM

Post by Indestructible »

The School House model needed a locking lid so the kids didn't play with it and break something when not in use.

LimeTree99
Victor Jr

Post by LimeTree99 »

Indestructible wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:51 pm The School House model needed a locking lid so the kids didn't play with it and break something when not in use.
Makes me wonder how many times a teacher would leave the classroom for a couple minutes, only to return and find the diaphragm caved in by an overly curious student.