Edison machine?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MisterGramophone
Victor I
Personal Text: I love shellac!

Edison machine?

Post by MisterGramophone »

I have wondered if Edison diamond disc external horn models existed and I found this photo. I was skeptical and I wonder if this was ever actually a real machine or if this is a photoshopped image or crapophone.
Attachments
Gramophone :pig:

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Edison machine?

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I think there was one of these produced as a possible prototype, but that was it.
Don M.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I recognized that photo. It also appeared in the 1977 edition of "From Tinfoil to Stereo." Here's the information Welch & Read, the authors, provided:
IMG_20240123_142735~2.jpg

MisterGramophone
Victor I

OrthoFan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:35 pm I recognized that photo. It also appeared in the 1977 edition of "From Tinfoil to Stereo." Here's the information Welch & Read, the authors, provided:
IMG_20240123_142735~2.jpg
If they appeared here, why weren’t these sold when diamond discs came out?

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

By 1911 Edison was already beginning to phase out their line of outside horn machines. The public was enthralled with cabinet machines like the Victrola and Amberola. Outside horns were starting to be seen as old-fashioned. While Edison did still release some such machines -- notably the Opera in November 1911 -- their days were numbered. Evidently the Edison company saw no point in packaging their then-new Diamond Disk technology in an outdated format.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

EdiBrunsVic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:09 pm I think there was one of these produced as a possible prototype, but that was it.
Don M.
That's my understanding. As to why it wasn't produced, a better question would be, why did Edison bother to create even a trial machine of that type? By that time open horn machines were essentially a dead commercial letter. Putting one on the market then would have been like trying to put a CRT (picture tube) type TV or computer monitor on the market today, when the flat panel types have swept the boards. In featuring the photo without elaboration, Tinfoil to Stereo gives it far more prominence than it deserves.

MisterGramophone
Victor I

drh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:29 pm By that time open horn machines were essentially a dead commercial letter. Putting one on the market then would have been like trying to put a CRT TV or computer monitor on the market today
Well, when exactly did open horn machines die? Some say 1907, some say 1910, some say 1915. Oh and, crt is superior.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

drh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:29 pm .... In featuring the photo without elaboration, Tinfoil to Stereo gives it far more prominence than it deserves.
Especially since the authors never mentioned anything about a prototype or outside horn version in the main text.

There is also no clarification as to whether the photo or the machine, itself, is in the possession of the Edison National Historic Site.

I've often also wondered why it was fitted with a reproducer with a conventional mica diaphragm.

OrthoFan

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Misetrgramophone wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:35 pm
Well, when exactly did open horn machines die? Some say 1907, some say 1910, some say 1915. Oh and, crt is superior.
There really is no exact date as to when the last outside horn model was produced. As one example, in the United States, the Victor Talking Machine Company introduced the Victrola in 1906, but continued to manufacture outside horn talking machines well into the teens. Even after that time, the Victor schoolhouse model, which was fitted with a large oak Horn, was in production until 1925. But by the teens, the general preference was definitely for enclosed horn models, at least in the United States.

In Europe and in the UK the situation was different. For example, both the Gramophone Company, and Columbia manufactured outside horn gramophones into the late 1920s to meet the demand for that type of machine in the British market. Even beyond that, high quality gramophones equipped with giant exponentially tapered horns were manufactured. (Google EMG or EM Ginn Gramophone.). These are highly prized and expensive today, because of their FANTASTIC sound quality.

OrthoFan

MisterGramophone
Victor I

OrthoFan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:16 pm
Misetrgramophone wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:35 pm
Even after that time, the Victor schoolhouse model, which was fitted with a large oak Horn, was in production until 1925. But by the teens, the general preference was definitely for enclosed horn models, at least in the United States.
OrthoFan
Why did schoolhouse models need lids when they were external horn designs?