EBAY International Shipping rules

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
outune
Victor IV

EBAY International Shipping rules

Post by outune »

Hi- In another recent post regarding a Long-Play DD reproducer, a problem with shipping through Ebay's International program was pointed out. I responded there, but thought I'd create a new post to give this information:

A few months ago, I listed an item and a buyer in Germany contacted me. He was blocked from bidding because it couldn't be shipped to Germany-
It took awhile but I sorted it out.
Here is what I found on a Q&A Ebay forum- I added the bold and underline

["So, the new eBay International Shipping is rolling out. Many of you have probably received the notice.
I read the terms and conditions and found the following:
Program Rules. You will comply with the following rules for any EIS Items that you sell through the Program:
Upon eBay’s notice that the Buyer has paid for an item, you will promptly ship the EIS Item(s) to the US Shipping Hub address provided to you in accordance with your listing;
You will package all EIS Items appropriately, and in accordance with correct weight and dimensions limits.
Nothing greater than 44 lbs. for every country except CA where maximum allowable billable weight is 66 lbs.
Packages exceeding 84 inches in Length + Girth are NOT permitted
Packages must meet or exceed 7.25 inches in width and 10.25 inches in length"]

Once I changed the size of the box, the German buyer was able to bid.

Brad Abell

Raphael
Victor IV

Re: EBAY International Shipping rules

Post by Raphael »

It was my understanding that prior to now, the EIS program was an all-or-nothing deal. If a seller opted into the program, all of his international sales were subject to the EIS.

Then recently, I received a notice that the EIS would become an option for the buyer, which allowed sellers to offer both the EIS or shipping via carriers such as FedEx, DHL, etc.

I personally have never used the EIS because it removes certain flexibilities and controls over the shipping. Once eBay becomes the shipper, the seller cannot intercede to assist with the delivery. As an example, when using eBay shipping on domestic shipments, if the buyer contacts me and says he cannot be home to sign for the package, I cannot contact the carrier to arrange for direct pickup at a station, because I was not the shipper (eBay was). And eBay, obtuse as they are, will not help either. I’ve had several shipments each year fall into this black hole.

Recently I have had a shipment (a Victor V) stuck in customs for over a month in the Philippines that has resulted in all sorts of demands for technical information, special documents, etc. I cannot imagine eBay handling something like this very well. It probably would have been returned to me by now (it just cleared customs yesterday).

Lastly, having been involved with international shipping for almost 50 years, I know what volume shippers receive in the way of discounts. They get as much as 95% off the tariff rates. I am sure the EIS program is more of a money grab by eBay than a method of improving their “customer service”.

Raphael

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: EBAY International Shipping rules

Post by JerryVan »

Thanks guys. I entered my buyer's name as an excpetion to my shipping restrictions. That allowed him to bid & win. Mind you, I HAD NO RESTRICTIONS on UK bidders. :x So, the size thing must have been the issue. I'll now go through the process of shipping to the UK without Ebay's help... such as it is. :roll:

Why can't things be easy anymore? Why are all these "improvements" in reality, just additional hinderances? :|