Please help identify my Edison Standard

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
harknessmine
Victor Jr

Please help identify my Edison Standard

Post by harknessmine »

A friend recently gave me his Edison Standard. I’ve been trying to figure out the model and year without luck. The crane on it and the reproducer are throwing me. Was the crane added and the reproducer replaced? Without a belt it runs for about 8 minutes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The serial number is S117411.
Attachments
271ABC98-C3F2-48F4-A341-C4EB93810DA7.jpeg
FCD885D6-D37C-4070-8E64-BA763F18562A.jpeg

harknessmine
Victor Jr

Re: Please help identify my Edison Standard

Post by harknessmine »

More pics of my Edison Standard.
Attachments
1AE41672-D620-43DD-A661-CEAA47BA8D77.jpeg
1EA1AE14-2582-4CC0-BC17-E1E336597D69.jpeg
0ECCEDF2-61CD-4825-931D-C6F34946B192.jpeg
CC0866CC-EE24-4CAE-9B56-67DBD23E1A64.jpeg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

You have a nice looking Model A Edison Standard from around 1902/3. George Paul can give you a more accurate date. Your machine plays two minute cylinders. It was sold with a 14" horn with a black body and brass bell. It was common for owners to upgrade to a larger aftermarket horn and yours is an example. I believe your reproducers comes from a later business machine and is not correct. You should be able to locate a C reproducer which will give you good results. The Edison Standard was a very popular machine and sold in large numbers because it gave owners good performance. Welcome to our hobby. I hope you enjoy your Standard.

Jerry B.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Frow has this to say: "By 1901 the Standard was equipped with an oak 'New Style' cabinet with a rounded cover. The motor was unchanged, but the top plate now screwed on to a wooden frame which was hinged for inspection. This new style of case also carried the full EDISON STANDARD PHONOGRAPH banner, and its moulding and corners were rounded, and from the Autumn of 1901 Standard owners could buy this for $3.00 and modernise the look of their machines."

I agree, the reproducer appears to be from a dictating machine. Cranes could change at any time at the whim of an owner who wanted to "upgrade."

harknessmine
Victor Jr

Post by harknessmine »

Thank you so much for the information. Now I need to find a reproducer, bed plate frame, and a crank for a model A.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Edison Standard #117411 left the factory in October 1903.

A Model C Reproducer, crank, and wooden frame for a Standard Model A should be easy to find. You just missed one that sold on this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57262

Try George Vollema: http://www.victroladoctor.com/

also -

Brian Parlier
The Phonograph Shop
https://www.facebook.com/ThePhonographShop/
www.thephonographshop.com
brian@thephonographshop.com

(C) 704.995.9142
(H) 704.644.8606

The brackets on the rear of the cabinet are for a Hawthorne & Sheble No.4 horn support. The rod sections are homemade. If you want originals, just advertise for them in the Yankee Trader section.

Good luck and have fun - -

George P.

harknessmine
Victor Jr

Post by harknessmine »

Thank You George P. I really appreciate the date it left the factory. If only the date shipped list included where it was shipped to.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

You're welcome.

Unfortunately, there is no handy "date shipped" list; only a document prepared in mid-1908 by the National Phonograph Company showing monthly sales by the company for each model of Edison Phonograph. This document covers the years 1896-May 1908. Since Edison serial numbering always began at #1, it was possible to extrapolate sales dates with serial numbers. Since Edison usually had inventories of machines waiting to be shipped, we can be reasonably sure that the machines were sent out very quickly after being sold. During this period the machines would have been sent to jobbers, eventually to be sent along to dealers, and at some point placed in the hands of the purchaser.

There is a series of articles being published in the Antique Phonograph Society's quarterly magazine detailing the history of each of the early Edison Phonograph types (Gem, Standard, Home, Spring Motor/Triumph, Concert). The Gem, Standard, and Spring Motor/Triumph have already been published. The articles on the Home and Concert will appear this year. These articles include dating charts to enable current owners to date their examples.

Enjoy your Edison!

George P.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

harknessmine wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:29 am A friend recently gave me his Edison Standard. I’ve been trying to figure out the model and year without luck. The crane on it and the reproducer are throwing me. Was the crane added and the reproducer replaced? Without a belt it runs for about 8 minutes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The serial number is S117411.
You might want to consider this offering in the forum's Yankee Trader section. Right now you're limited to 2-minute cyliniders, but adding this converter and a 4-minute reproducer would enable you to play every type of standard-sized cylinder. When I had a Standard, I retrofitted it with one of these, and it worked very well.