There’s worse ways to spend $40

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Ortho4-7
Victor Jr

There’s worse ways to spend $40

Post by Ortho4-7 »

A chance visit to a local antique mall turned up not one, but two Victor VV-IV’s. One was $325 and sounded like a shotgun going off. Hard pass. The other was $40 and in good shape, minus a Columbia reproducer that someone tried to duct-tape onto the tonearm. I don’t quite know what happened next, I must have blacked out. When I came to, I was $40 lighter and there was a Victor VV-IV in my car. There’s worse ways to spend $40, I suppose.
IMG_0773.jpeg
Soundbox aside, it seems to be in good shape for the age. It’s an early 1917 model, according to the serial number. The oak presents very well, and the motor seems strong, if noisy. A good cleaning ought to quiet things up. I already pulled the trigger on an Exihibition soundbox, which should get here in the next week or so.

I’m already smitten with this thing. It’s downright cute, especially with the oversized door handles that look for all the world like a pair of googly-eyes.
IMG_0814.jpeg
By the way, if anyone here has a Columbia Grafonola in need of a soundbox, I’d be happy to let this go to a good home!
IMG_0794.jpeg
IMG_0793.jpeg

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: There’s worse ways to spend $40

Post by drh »

Congrats on a fun find! These days, $40 is one small steak a middlin' chain restaurant. Very well done! (The Victrola purchase, one hopes not the steak. ;) )

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

That's a fine deal and easy to make it a functional phonograph!

James.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

A VV-IV was my first windup back in the early 1950s.

Ortho4-7
Victor Jr

Post by Ortho4-7 »

The post office was kind enough to drop off a shiny new Exhibition soundbox today:
IMG_1030.jpeg
I still need to properly clean the motor, fix the warped platter, and replace the tonearm bearings, but I couldn’t resist popping a needle in and spinning a record. To my surprise, it sounds great! It definitely lacks the depth and volume of the 4-7’s folded horn, but it’s still pleasant and gets the music across without any listener fatigue. I do wish it had a few more quality-of-life features (a needle cup would be nice), but I suppose Victor had to cut a few things to push people towards their higher-end models while still offering a quality product as their bottom-line.