"Chinese Legend of the Bamboo Phonograph"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Gramtastic
Victor III

"Chinese Legend of the Bamboo Phonograph"

Post by Gramtastic »

I recently acquired this programme from December 9th 1889 for a public demonstration of "Edison's (latest) Phonograph" in the Public Hall , Warrington. While it is all very interesting, there is something I have never come across before.....The talk on how the phonograph works begins with "The Chinese Legend of the Bamboo Phonograph". I assumed Google would tell me something about an early Chinese invention which used bamboo to reproduce sound but it came up with absolutely nothing !
Has anyone ever come across the Chinese legend of the Bamboo phonograph ????
Attachments
IMG_1528.JPG
IMG_1527.JPG
IMG_1526.JPG
Last edited by Gramtastic on Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: "Chinese Legend of the Bamboo Phonograph"

Post by OrthoFan »

Gramtastic wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:35 pm I recently acquired this programme form December 9th 1889 for a public demonstration of "Edison's (latest) Phonograph" in the Public Hall , Warrington. While it is all very interesting, there is something I have never come across before.....The talk on how the phonograph works begins with "The Chinese Legend of the Bamboo Phonograph". I assumed Google would tell me something about an early Chinese invention which used bamboo to reproduce sound but it came up with absolutely nothing !
Has anyone ever come across the Chinese legend of the Bamboo phonograph ????

"There is a Chinese tradition extant to the effect that,many thousands of years ago,then; in the Flowery Land a lady with a most entrancing voice.This 'Chinese Nightingale' so hypnotised the populace that a general wish was expressed that the sweet sounds of that wonderful voice should not be allowed to become extinct with the death of its owner,and many were the devices suggested for preserving it. At length a wise woman was consulted - a veritable witch,who had the reputation of solving ail difficulties,were they never sc .... and she produced a bamboo closed at one end,with the instructions that the songstress was tj sing one of her sweetest melcdies into the tube,which was then to bo corked up and deposited, in a certain temple .Her behests were faith fully carried out.Many generations had passed -wv,when there happened to be in the neighbourhood of that temple a youth who was told of the dulcet tones shut up in the stem of bamboo,and he determined to feast his ears upon them.To his great delight,the notes welled out in all their original sweetness,and for a few minutes he was enchanted.But the song departed for everjit was never heard again.This happened,we are told,many thousands of years agojtut the nineteenth century produced an instrument which will not only bottle up sweet music,but will give it out again as often as demanded.Thus has reality outstripped romance,and given us the phonograph."

FROM: https://archive.org/details/TMR16/page/ ... ?q=Chinese

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Thank you, that's great ! Now I know....

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Thank you, that's great ! Now I know....

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

I doubt that ancient voice bottling thing really worked. I think everyone involved was bamboo-zled. ;)

Kidding aside, fascinating tale. I love old myths and legends from foreign lands. They tend to be extremely colorful.