Victor VV-4-40 Variants?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Aross
Victor Jr

Victor VV-4-40 Variants?

Post by Aross »

So, I've got a Victor VV-4-40, but it looks slightly different than many that I've seen pictures of out there on the internet; in particuar, the needle tray. In the 'normal' 4-40 it looks like the trays are raised wooden trays, whereas in mine, they're metal and on the main board. I've been trying to get a good look at the governor knob of one of mine that's in tact, and that's when I started to notice differences.

So, do any of the expert-hobbyists out there have any idea what's up with this? Is there some later version, or floor model, I think I even saw a Canadian version out there somewhere, that would explain this difference?

Also, does anyone have a good picture of the the speed control for a 4-40 like mine that I can see. It looks as though all mine has is a small metal plate, as opposed to a window with a needle like some I've seen, but I want to be sure it doesn't need parts.

Thanks!

MarkELynch
Victor II

Re: Victor VV-4-40 Variants?

Post by MarkELynch »

Aross,

It looks like you have a very late model 4-40. Nearly 100,000 spring 4-40’s were made.

You can find the answers to your questions in this book. It should be on every Victor collector’s shelf.
Buy it directly from the author, Robert Baumbach.

http://www.mulhollandpress.com/styled-5 ... index.html

Best,
Mark

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Victor VV-4-40 Variants?

Post by OrthoFan »

Yes, there were variations in the some of the components used throughout a model's production run. As Mark notes, the one you have looks like a late production model, judging by the recessed metal needle cups. To confirm, please post the serial number, which is found on the data plate under the lid.

As for the speed control, I remember reading that Victor dispensed with the speed indicator on its later models. For instance, the couple of examples of the VV-8-35 I've seen used a set screw in place of the control knob/speed indicator. By the late 1920s, the 78 rpm speed was pretty much established by most record labels, though there were some exceptions.

I agree that "The Victor Data Book" is an excellent reference guide, as is "Look for the Dog," and of course, the Victor Victrola Page -- http://victor-victrola.com/

David