Columbia AH - Early First Style

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jmcmahan67
Victor Jr

Columbia AH - Early First Style

Post by Jmcmahan67 »

I am new to this forum, and I’m hopeful that someone can help me. I have a Columbia AH early first style…the one with the off-center crank hole and the vertically mounted spring barrels. I am missing about three screws which old the spring barrels together, and a couple of the other screws have damaged heads. The screws are very difficult to work with anyway and hard to get properly centered so that they screw down. I took one of the screws to the hardware store, but did not find one with the correct thread pattern. I had thought about just drilling the holes out a little larger and rethreading for new screws, but I hate to do that to an early machine. Does anyone have any tiny screws that would work on the earliest Columbia AH, or know if this same type of screw was routinely used on early spring barrels for Columbia Disc Graphophones? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1989.jpeg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Columbia AH - Early First Style

Post by alang »

If you have a correct sample, I had success with having Fastenal measure it and order some. Might be worth a try. Hardware stores at least in my neck of the woods don't have a good selection of unusual screws anymore.

Andreas

Jmcmahan67
Victor Jr

Post by Jmcmahan67 »

Good idea and I do have good samples. Was that an expensive proposition and did it take a long time to get them? I just need about 4, but it would make sense to get a bunch more, just in case.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

The thread size should be 4-48 x ⅛" long.

Not exactly the correct head style, but should work... https://www.mcmaster.com/products/screw ... gth~1-8-1/

Jmcmahan67
Victor Jr

Post by Jmcmahan67 »

Thanks very much for the information! I had no way of measuring. Great to know!

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Jmcmahan67 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:16 pm Good idea and I do have good samples. Was that an expensive proposition and did it take a long time to get them? I just need about 4, but it would make sense to get a bunch more, just in case.
I always bought a few more than I needed but never paid more than a few $$ (under 10). Usually took a few days to a week until they get their next shipment to the store.

Andreas