Removing tonearm from Victor VV 8-9

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jeb98
Victor Jr

Removing tonearm from Victor VV 8-9

Post by Jeb98 »

Hi, so I have a Victor VV 8-9 in fairly rough shape. Trying to do a restoration and I unable to get the tonearm off. Took off all the screws and the base of the tonearm won’t come off of the wood plinth. Anything I’m missing here? Is tried to tap it with a wooden mallet and it doesnt come loose.

First photo shows the under side. There seems to be some sort of bolts but I assume those are to hold the horn to the wood from underneath.

Best,

Jonas
Attachments
IMG_3302.jpeg
IMG_3303.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Removing tonearm from Victor VV 8-9

Post by JerryVan »

It's likely just stuck in place. DO NOT hit or tap it with a mallet. The tone arm bracket is fragile and may break. Try pushing or gently tapping a thin putty knife under the edge of the base, in several places. This should pop it loose.

Show us the rest of the 8-9. They're a favorite of mine.

electrolaman 64
Victor II
Personal Text: Look for the Dog

Post by electrolaman 64 »

Sometimes the highly greased felt ring gasket between the metal horn casting and the tone arm base acts like a glue. I have even seen cases where a rubber gasket was used and it always turns to gum and sticks.

Do the very thin putty knife like that other member described.
Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN

electrolaman 64

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

As Carlton mentions it is most likely the heavily greased felt washer which has turned to glue that is causing the difficulty.

Some gentle heat from a hair dryer applied to the horn plumbing from below may help soften the grease. You have removed the correct four screws from the top side of the flange so the sticky grease is the reason.

Once you remove the tone arm assembly you will find that the potmetal bracket with the overhead pin supporting the tonearm is stuck in the sheet metal flange. It is swollen in place and breaking it out in pieces and installing a replacement is the path forward. Replacements are readily available.

Let us know how you make out.

Mark

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Be very careful with that tone arm and bracket assembly as it looks like there is already a crack at the set screw. If It was mine I wouldn't touch it at all until I had a replacement in hand.

Jeb98
Victor Jr

Post by Jeb98 »

Thank you for the tips everyone. I actually have a tonearm from a Victor Credenza VV 8-30. Haven’t checked to see if it’s a drop in replacement, but it’s the type of tonearm without the top bracket piece. If this one is damaged I can put that one in (maybe?) but I will be careful not to damage this one more.

This machine is in rough condition. The motor needs an overhaul and cleaning. I can buy a cleaned and lubricated motor on eBay and I may just do that. I’m not as concerned about originality as I’m most concerned with the sound, and I got this because I like their sound more than the wooden horn versions.

I will try some of that feed and wax furniture restore stuff I have to see it cleans up the wood surface. The top pieces of wood on the cover are kind of dried out and water damaged. I’m a woodworker and I could replace those with newer oak if needed. It’s never going to be pristine but I want it to be mechanically sound.

Also the platter is stuck on the spindle, from rust. As I said there must have been some water on this unit at some point. The horn is in great shape and no rust on it.
Attachments
IMG_3324.jpeg
IMG_3323.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

From what is showing of your tone arm I don't see anything really wrong with it.

The top surface of the lid appears as if it's missing its veneer.

For the stuck turntable, let the motor wind down completely, then loosen the governor gear from the spindle shaft and slide the spindle out with the turntable still attached.

Jeb98
Victor Jr

Post by Jeb98 »

I got the tonearm off. The rubber gasket was stuck. And is still stuck to the bottom of the tonearm. It’s actually still somewhat supple. I’d like to take the tonearm completely apart to remove the old grease and lube it back up, but I’m not sure how the tonearm comes out of the base bracket. Do I need to remove that rubber gasket first?

Next, the crank won’t fit in the motor. The crank is threaded but the hole where I assume the crank should go is not theaded. Is this just the wrong type of crank for this motor, or is there a piece missing? I may just buy a restored motor on eBay anyway, but it would be nice to be able to crank this motor to test it at least.

Jonas
Attachments
IMG_3335.jpeg
IMG_3334.jpeg

Jeb98
Victor Jr

Post by Jeb98 »

Also, can’t figure out how to get the latter off. I took the governor spring out, and loosened the set screw on the small gear that’s attached to the spindle. And it won’t come out. Any tips?

One more thing, since I may be buying a motor anyway, what are people’s thoughts on buying one of those inductor motors from the electric units? Is there a drop in electric motor replacement for this motor?

Best,

Jonas

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Jeb98 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:56 pm Also, can’t figure out how to get the latter off. I took the governor spring out, and loosened the set screw on the small gear that’s attached to the spindle. And it won’t come out. Any tips?

One more thing, since I may be buying a motor anyway, what are people’s thoughts on buying one of those inductor motors from the electric units? Is there a drop in electric motor replacement for this motor?

Best,

Jonas
I think you may be missing the part shown in this picture. A few years back, I was able to buy one from George Vollema.
Attachments
complete motor.jpg
complete motor.jpg (73.95 KiB) Viewed 259 times