Edison Gem model A restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Wallace_1903
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Edison Gem Owner

Edison Gem model A restoration

Post by Wallace_1903 »

Hi please can you help me with the ongoing restoration of my Edison gem model A. I acquired this a short while ago in a none working state, I have now got it working but I’m struggling with a couple of final issues. So my friend found your forum so hopefully you can help me.
1, I have ordered a belt but have been using an elastic band which will work and drives the whole machine but not at the required speed. It seems to also have more power when on its side and when the correct way up looses some of the strength.
2, Without the band on the machine appears to spin perfectly like the spring finds it to hard with the belt on?

I have attached a video and hope you can help me

Regards Wallace

Wallace_1903
Victor Jr

Re: Edison Gem model A restoration

Post by Wallace_1903 »

Video
Attachments
IMG_8461.MOV
(25.28 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
6A5C0193-0D4B-415E-9DD0-77DFEA07248F.jpeg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I wouldn't worry about it until you get the proper belt on it. In the meanwhile however, look at the small brass wheel that rides on the belt to keep it tensioned. Very often, that little wheel is stuck tight with old, dried oil. It needs to spin freely or it will drag on the belt.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry's advice is spot on. In addition, be sure the reproducer is properly seated in the carriage. In the image, it isn't.

Good luck!

George P.

Wallace_1903
Victor Jr

Post by Wallace_1903 »

Thank you for your prompt replies, you were spot on the brass wheel was a little stiff which I have now resolved. I’m missing a piece of the reproducer could you guys point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Wallace_1903
Victor Jr

Post by Wallace_1903 »

Missing something
Attachments
Missing something
Missing something
Missing something
Missing something

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Yup, something is missing for sure. I'd say your best bet might be to buy a reproducer off of eBay, or place a "wanted" ad here, viewforum.php?f=9 on the forum "Yankee Trader" classified section. What you want is a "Model C" reproducer. What you have can be sold for a few bucks to help you out.

This one looks like a decent example. Rebuilt and a pretty fair price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/196271263846?i ... R_bL7ujDYw

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Hi Wallace-- You'll find lots of help on this forum- Welcome to the hobby! :)
Re: the belt-- To get one with the proper tension, it should be made specifically for your machine out of a good grade of leather belting material. It's not particularly hard to do. I believe there are you tube videos that walk you through how to do it.

As others have said, you need a complete reproducer. I've sent you a PM regarding a couple I have. Check it out and let me know if you want more information.

Brad Abell