the Edison Class M "escapee"

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

the Edison Class M "escapee"

Post by MicaMonster »

Hello all!

Before I start, I want to say one thing. A close friend of mine once told me, "You can't be an expert on ANYTHING until you question EVERYTHING." This has stayed with me for many years, and it has taught me to be resourceful, to ask lots of questions, and to dig deep into book research to get every last fact, figure, and grain correct before presenting something as fact. The short journey below represents a lot of research on the internet, in university documents, books, and conversations with living authorities on the subject. In the end after comparing and contrasting the data collected the best I can, I have been able to put down my Sherlock Holmes pipe for a moment, and present a surprising inference. Get your venti iced mocha, this is gonna be a good one!

I obtained this piece from a furniture collector in the midwest. To dispel the myth that antique phonographs aren't found in antique shops anymore (well, nothing better than a Victrola XI in most cases) you can take one flying guess as to where this was found. He found it in a local antique shop! The antique shop acquired it along with the estate contents of an attic.

Another curiosity, 4 cutouts for recorders/reproducers in the front drawer.

The machine in its "as-found" condition. At first glance it is impressive enough as it is quickly identified as an early North American Class M, from the early 1890's. The two screw holes in front of the swarf drawer are left from its original carriage lifting device, long lost to time. The Automatic reproducer, serial #12847, dates to 1894. Upon closer inspection the bedplate and upper castings display a few errant brush strokes on the nickel plating, and the hoop around the governor also is painted black. Evidence of a repaint? Certainly. But a super close inspection shows that the black paint applied is in fact alligatored, cracked in areas, and genuinely old. Why does this old paint job look hurried and sloppy? What was being covered up?

To add further intrigue, the machine is devoid of any patent, usage, or serial number plates or stampings. At this point, I have been conversing with my fellow collectors as to what to do with the machine to honor it: leave it as-is, or repaint and re-decorate the casting with fresh paint and carefully reproduce the gold decoration? The decision was made to strip and re-finish, in light of the badly applied paint. The black paint did have its chips and scratches, which exposed a lighter colored metal underneath. I had discounted these spots as raw cast iron showing from underneath. I have been advised that the bedplate and upper casting could very well be made out of cast aluminium, but at just over 60 pounds in heft, this was DEFINITELY not aluminium, and it didn't even occur to me to do the magnet test to see if it was in fact cast iron.

After ordering the correct paints, tools, and chemicals for a proper re-detail...I started stripping off the old black paint.

The old black paint dissolved, withdrawing from the metal like a tide of black oil...exposing nickel plating. This came as a complete surprise.

It is uniformly weathered and worn from usage, but the area under the switch board is clearly shiny and mirror like.

I grabbed the nearest magnet, and it was indeed NOT cast iron at all. It was certainly heavy like iron, the bedplate weighing nearly 9 pounds alone. On one hand I didn't have to labor over a re-paint, and the painstakingly patient task of re-applying the gold detail. But now the mystery thickens.

I dropped everything and started researching the Edison Papers Project at Rutgers University. I scanned tirelessly through laboratory notebooks, patent applications, and company communications. I wasn't able to glean anything off of the digital edition. The microfiche and bound editions are at the moment out of my reach unless I visit Rutgers in person. Another option is to visit the paper archive at the Edison historic site, but I don't have the time to commit to that endeavor yet. I called and emailed fellow Edison collectors and researchers, and a consensus started to emerge from all the feedback. I emailed pictures and measurements, discussed construction details, and the existence or non-existence of clues. The details and geometry of the machine, along with the precise machining of the bedplate and upper casting point to this being made at the Edison factory. The cabinet, motor, governor assembly, carriage arm and reproducer are all original Edison parts as well. The hollow mandrel brings the date of the mandrel to 1892. A respected researcher, author and Edison collector, Al Sefl, informed me that the earliest machines were indeed of brass construction, and that my example may have been a laboratory development model. Brass is much easier to machine than iron, and additionally, a lot easier to fill, level, and finish in nickel plating. After measuring the resistance of the governor shunt at 1.9 Ohms, Al confirmed that this was a Class M and not a Class E. The lack of a serial number meant that this item was not meant for resale. On the front of the machine, there is a worn off area that may have had an identification badge on it at one time, but all that remains is a blob of solder that was flattened to accept the black paint.

The wear on the nickel plating shows lots of use. This was most likely a spectacle equipped machine at one time, and later updated with the single eyelet carriage to accept the Automatic reproducer which was more capable of reproducing entertainment recordings. This hypothesis is further supported by the lack of the carriage lifting device which was originally intended to be used for dictation.

Rewiring.

The inference; given the physical condition of the machine and its characteristics, is that it is an early development model of the Class M cast in brass for the development of the machine and nickel plating. After it was no longer needed or discarded, someone at the factory in 1894 installed a cast iron carriage on it, with an Automatic reproducer and the corresponding hollow mandrel. To make everything match and cover up the nickel plating, a quick application of black paint was brushed on to make it look like a production model. And with that, it found its way away from the factory by unknown means.

As with many phonograph projects, I am not the sole instigator, perpetuator, researcher, guide or resource. My special thanks to the vast cognitive resources offered by George Paul, Al Sefl, Stu Miller, and Paul Baker.
I invite your comments, thoughts and insights. Thank You for reading!

Here is her re-awakening after compleat rewiring:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0whLxQbZgjk[/youtube]
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: the Edison Class M "escapee"

Post by alang »

Congratulations to this great find and thanks for sharing this amazing story.
Andreas

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

That machine is what dreams (at least mine) are made of! Great story and research, Thanks for sharing!!!
Steve

John M

Post by John M »

Absolutely brutal!!! Woof!

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Well, although my knowledge on cylinder machines is weak at best. I must say this is not only a great story but, in the end a wonderful and I would think a very rare machine. Almost makes me want to start collecting cylinder machines....... :lol:. The research part is really the fun (I think) even more so when information is re-discovered and brought to light after many years.
Well done.
Wayne

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Spectacular find Wyatt. Congratulations!
The nickel plating is fantastic & makes it look like a completely different machine, and I don't think I've seen a Class M with such beautiful woodgrain before either. And what better companion for your Amberola no.2 could you ask for!
You must be over the moon :)

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

What a great machine, I wonder if you considered having a spectical carrage made for it, I used to have the parts catalog sheet on my website, with all the perfected parts from the eary 1889 catalog. Ill check what other things I can find. This machine is awsome. Im not allowed to have a class M, I would be tempted to put one to daily use in the studio, recording by the round, im serious,not joking!! I am looking to form a recording band for The North American Phonograph Co, Edison Phonograph Works division, and it could be Issler's Orchestra, I have mastered the use of a standard speaker recorder, those of you who have my pre recorded records,all were recorded with one, even the electric ones. Very awsome find!. I had a TV quiz show call me the other day for permission to use the words Edison Blue Amberol record, on the show, I told them they could,however,they should double check with David Edison S, Mc Graw Edison, and Thomas Edison historical Park.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Wyatt,

It's great to finally see photos of this wonderful Class M. In looking them over, however, I have a different opinion of what your machine represents. We may never know... :cry:

First, your upper casting is not the earlier spectacle-type design, but rather the later 1889-1890 design. It certainly appears to be a product of the Edison Phonograph Works, but I think the "brass castings = early production" is a red herring in this case. Rather, I believe the brass castings to be a manufacturing alternative that, in your words, would be "easier to fill, level, and finish in nickel plating." I've examined only a handful of nickel-plated Class M Phonographs, and I never even considered the material from which they were cast. We know that the EPW produced presentation machines on occasion, and I think this is a more likely scenario for your example. When ordered from the Works, the castings could be made from brass, thus saving much finishing work to plate. In other words, this machine could have been conceived as a presentation piece from the start. The lack of serial number or North American markings supports this hypothesis. Edison's contract with North American forbade him from selling Phonographs, so as he once wrote, "I can only give em away."

And this opens a possibility far more exciting than early production - at least to me. Could your machine have once been the property of some nineteenth-century luminary; a gift from you-know-who? Unfortunately, we may never know. But the brass construction is suggestive. I wonder what was mounted on the front-right area of the bottom casting!

Also - have you checked the magnetism of the governor support? Other nickeled Class Ms of the time had them...

The seemingly out-of-place iron reproducer carriage may have been a replacement if the original brass piece had become damaged or broken. Ditto the governor support if it's cast iron.

Finally, the drawer insert is puzzling. The only other time I've seen such a thing was in the "Military" or "Portable" Phonograph constructed for the Paris Exposition of 1889 (see photo below, taken from Discovering Antique Phonographs). At the time, we thought those holes must surely accommodate tiny cylinder records, but now I'm not so sure. Does a reproducer or recorder actually fit into yours? They're certainly not large enough for standard-size cylinders!

Congratulations on obtaining this rather mysterious Class M! It's a beauty!

George P.
Attachments
dap003.jpg

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

George,
How common are walnut cases?
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

This is in my opinion one of the most, if not the most interesting thread I have read on this forum. I know everyone's tastes are different, but the Class M is probably #1 on my list of desired phonographs. So just reading about your Class M and the process of unraveling the story behind it is fascinating to me. I hope that if you continue to find hints on the origins of this phonograph or even find proof of it's production and history that you will continue to update us!

I agree with George that if this was a presentation phonograph, that it would make it that much more exciting. If that was the case with this one, would there be any records of how many were "given away" and if so, to who? I guess that may be a silly question considering if it was that easy, this route would have already been explored. I would think that if Edison, (or someone else in the company) had this made and presented it to someone, that the person it was given to would more than likely be historically important. (ie. President, Royalty, other inventor, etc.) And if that is the case, I would think there is a good chance that it was properly documented at that time. George, have you ever seen other records or documents of presentation Class M's?

John, did you ever see or hear of any written evidence or records of the presentation Idelia you found in St. Augustine, Florida? (See http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... lit=idelia

George, here's another question for you. Is there a possibility that this Class M was built to show what a "regular" size M would look like while producing the "Military" or "Portable" M? If the they both have nickel plated top works that's one thing. But to both have nearly identical drawers with the 4 cutouts makes them much more similar in comparability in my opinion. You mentioned that you had only ever seen one other drawer with those cutouts before and it was on the Military M. Would Edison have had a larger scale M produced exactly as the Military M was produced for proper comparison when selling them? It may be a bit far fetched, but it's the first thing that came to mind when you mentioned that you had only seen one other drawer with the cutouts.

Either way, congratulations on an amazing phonograph and please keep us all updated with any news or discoveries on this one!