Ragtime Rastus history

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AllenKoe
Victor II

Ragtime Rastus history

Post by AllenKoe »

Hi

We are hoping to have an article (in AP) on the first phonographic dancing figures, or at least technically gramophones since I have never seen Rastus (or his brethren) on any cylinder models.

For several years, the National [Toy] Co (their biggest booster) made them for all disc types, except (they said) for the Edison Diamond Discs, as there was not enough room for the spindle to activate the mechanism (the TAE discs were too thick). Do we have an exact date for when the necessary accessory finally appeared on the market (at 25 cents), around late 1919?

If collectors are looking for any specific info, be sure to let us know, and we will try to cover all the bases. We have already checked out the inventor's tombstone and there is no dancing figure mentioned... The first American ads seem to be from Dec 1914. The company often asked their customers to suggest new ideas for additional manufacture.

There was an earlier phono-mechanical doll using a Conductor or a Ballerina (sold by the British firm Lange's in 1908), but I don't know if any have survived.

Thanks!

Allen

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Ragtime Rastus history

Post by Phono-Phan »

Sounds like this will be a great article. Another reason that people should join APS.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Allen- Thanks for tackling this project. Over the years I've had temporary custody of most of the main figures- Rastus, Shimandy, Boxers, Roosters, Uncle Sam/Kaiser and Uncle Sam/ Mexican (Pancho Villa) I've sold a few but still have Rastus and Shimandy as well as a couple of Zalewski repros.

A few questions I have been wondering:
1) How many variations of dresses and hats have been seen on Shimandy?

2) I've seen the "Mexican" and Uncle Sam referred to in an old ad as Unc Sam and the Mexican-- Is it common agreement that it is intended to be Pancho Villa?

3) I've had two different style weights that slide into the bases. Were there different weight types depending on the type of toy?

Thanks- I look forward to seeing your article.

Brad Abell

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

Hi Brad,

Glad to see that you have been studying the many puzzles associated with Rastus and his kin.

So, the old ads show that Uncle Sam was chasing a generalized 'Mexican' although the implication must be to the earlier Pancho Villa. It would be nice to see Pancho (per se) in the actual advertisement.

Uncle Sam was quite popular and he also chased Kaiser Bill w/ his U-Boat 'Pretzel.' And Sam also wrestled with a bottle of Demon Rum and the emerging snake (often now missing).

Shimandy was an elegant toy and her dress-ware is often incomplete; it was described as made of "silk."

The guy who invented these was an actual "mechanical engineer." If I get a good photo of the Edison spindle-add-on, maybe we can squeeze it into the article.

The mechanism was indeed improved over time and the patents involved seem to show that. The National Co of Boston eventually made a stand-alone model that used a small microphone which received the sound from a record that made the figure dance.

Best
Allen

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Thanks Allen-- My Shimandy has a pink (or faded red) silk dress that is in very good condition-- It also has a yellow ribbon bow on the front and back. Unfortunately she is missing her hat, but is otherwise in really nice condition.
I heard that she also appeared in a brightly colored dress, but have only seen one like that on one of Charlie Weatherbies' repros.

Brad

Yamaphone
Victor O

Post by Yamaphone »

Allen,
If you have any information about the Edison DD adapter, I can't wait to learn about it. Chances are that I can make reproductions of those. A lot of people have asked about these over the years and I couldn't imagine how they would work.
Even though I've been making reproductions of the phonograph toys for many years, I never really found out much about the details of their early development so I don't think I could be of help with your article. Looking forward to seeing your article. By the way, Allen, I think it was you who lent me an original "Uncle Sam & Kaiser Bill" toy to copy back in the early 1970's. They turned out to be a lot of work to make and I always liked the action of the jointed leg versions like "Ragtime Rastus".

Dan Zalewski

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

Hi Dan,

You have a great memory. I am working on several themes, even on where the word "Rastus" came from.

Apparently the issue regarding the contraption working on "all" phonographs, except Edison, involved the thickness of the Diamond Disc, which covered too much of the turntable spindle - so it (the accessory) must have been some kind of "extender" - selling for 25 cents at the time. It was described in the Feb 1920 TMW, but not too clearly.

In checking the Uncle Sam Chasing "Pancho" model, it seems that the word "Mexican Bandit" was the preferred term. Apparently Gen Pershing never caught him however.

You can guess which particular device was recommended by Pathé.

Allen

Yamaphone
Victor O

Post by Yamaphone »

I always thought "Rastus" was just a shortening of the name "Erastus". There was an Erastus Corning who was a US Representative and Albany, NY mayor. But I'm sure you'll discover something much more specific.
Dan Z.

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

Can’t wait to read this. I love these figures. An Uncle Sam / Kaiser sold here recently and I regret not buying it. I have a Rastus and another one of a paper cut out of dancers that revolve around and around (wonderful!). The repro Uncle Sam is very cool too - was there ever an original of him?

DanP58
Victor O

Post by DanP58 »

I too love these little dancing toys . I have several different ones. Sorry I missed the Uncle Sam /Kaiser, I’ve been looking for them. Can’t wait for the article.
Dan