Victor Spearpoint horns

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
KC Kent
Victor Jr

Re: Victor Spearpoint horns

Post by KC Kent »

That's what I've always thought but I'm no expert!

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

[/quote]
I believe the first method would produce the tighter joint. As I stated, these are my theories, (call them guesses if you like).
[/quote]

A dear old engineer friend of mine would say that's a "SWAG" (scientific wild-a** guess). :lol:

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

Hi Bob , the two metal horn pieces can be taken apart , last year I purchased a damaged horn and was able tow disassembled the two pieces make my repairs to the wood and reassemble, the outer metal piece is folded over a lip on the inner metal piece, I used a pick with a sharp bend on it to unfold the crimp slowly and carefully, then the two pieces can be separated, I then made the missing pieces of wood glueing them in place , once I was satisfied with wood repairs, I dry fitted the two metal pieces onto the horn making sure they would nest into each other properly. Next I cut out a circular piece of wood out of a 2x4 tapering it to match the taper of the inside of the metal sleeve that goes on the inside of the horn, once I was happy with the fit , I drilled a hole in the center of it , put a carriage bolt through it, now I was ready for assembly, I purchase some premium construction adhesive, the type that comes in a caulk tube, applied generous amount of glue to the inside of the outer ring and to the outside of the inner ring , push the outer ring onto horn, then carefully guide inner ring up into horn with the wooden assembly piece I previously made inside the inner sleeve, once it is in the as far as it will go by gently pushing you use the threaded carriage bolt that is now sticking out of the small end of the horn to tighten down into a 1”x 1” piece of wood that you have drilled a ¼” hole in , you slowly tighten nut on carriage bolt untill the inner and outer sleeve are in place, wipe of any glue that is visible, then the next day take jig apart and bend metal lip back over inner ring , the glue is actually doing all the work at this point and will strengthen your repairs to the wood . Remember when setting your sleeve that the decal will have correct orientation with your rivet on outer sleeve

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

Hello,

I want to sincerely thank the kind responders for the great suggestions I received about these horns. The project has been put on hold until I can get another project off the table, but I'll let everyone which method I decided to use and how well it worked.

Thanks Again !!

Bob