Carolina Radio & Phonograph Show Is This Week!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Fonotone
Victor II

Carolina Radio & Phonograph Show Is This Week!

Post by Fonotone »

A reminder that the annual Carolina antique radio and phonograph show is just a few days away -- March 21-23. If you live in the southeast US and you haven't already made plans to attend, you might want to consider making them now. Lots of great folks, together with tons of great radios, phonographs and vintage technology items. This meet has been one of the southeast's premier vintage technology shows for decades, and for decades it's been held year in, year out, rain or shine, at the same excellent Sheraton Hotel -- conveniently located just a few minutes off North Carolina's Interstate 85, and just a stone's throw away from the Charlotte NC airport. As I write this on Monday afternoon, March 18th, the forecast is looking good. Sunny skies Thursday and Saturday, with with a slight chance of rain Friday afternoon. In the off-chance the skies start to darken in the midst of the Friday morning flea market, provisions are being made with the host hotel to accommodate flea marketeers, as necessary, in the hotel's interior common areas. If you're a vendor setting up at the show for the first time and you require a table for your wares, please know that you'll need to bring your own. The hotel does not provide tables for those setting up in the parking lot flea market. There is of course room for your vehicles, and you're welcome to display what you bring in the backs of your cars and trucks. That's about it. Look forward to seeing you there if you can make it! For more information about the show (including hotel info and a registration form on the last page) you can download a brochure at https://cc-awa.club/images/pdf/2024A.pdf
-- Grant
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Carolina Radio & Phonograph Show Is This Week!

Post by Curt A »

Grant covered the main event, but if you are here Saturday afternoon, Mike Lund is hosting an open house to view his collection nearby... definitely worthwhile.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Thanks Curt and Grant-- For those who haven't been to the NC show, it is well worth it. Great group of collectors in the area and no problem finding some good NC BBQ ! :)
I can't make it-- We are due to see the stork deliver another grandkid anytime in the next week or so-- In fact, my daughter is in the hospital tonight (right now) being monitored due to "happenings"-- perhaps she'll get sent home--- perhaps not! :)

Anyway-- Sorry I have to miss the show- I'm sure it will be a fun event!

Brad Abell

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Sorry you can't come, Brad, but your grandchild is more important... we will miss you.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I'll be there tomorrow morning with hopefully some trade goods for the swap meet. Always looking for good records and a chance to say hi to the folks on the forum!

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

With the Wayne Show, There is the dependable Rich Gordon to let us view the show via his photos---Anyone at the Carolina Show take photos to share it for those who could not attend? Would be nice to see the phonographs and radios. Thanks

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Anyone take pictures?

Fonotone
Victor II

Post by Fonotone »

It was a fun get together, as usual, but the threat of heavy rain kept attendance low, despite the hotel's having agreed to allow vendors to move inside in the event of a washout. As it turned out, the rain held off until Friday afternoon, but of the 60 or so vendors who set up in the parking lot on Friday morning, only a handful of those vendors were from the phonograph community. The rest were radio people. There are photographs of the show posted on Carolinas Antique Wireless Association Facebook page. I had to cut out mid-morning on Friday due to an unexpected family event so I was not able to hang around for the Friday night auction, but I heard the meet had pretty much ended, for all practical purposes, by early Saturday morning.
-- Grant
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Was there Saturday. Got the car packed and running, picked up Kelly, headed to the Sheraton and realized that it was going to be a slow one.

We definitely didn't see too many of the phonograph club there. Saw a few familiar faces and that's about it.

I sold an Amberola 30 to a farmer (older than me but younger than the club average by a lot) who's got 1920s radios but doesn't have a crank phonograph yet. Now he does. I'm waiting for him to realize that they are addictive. He got the new guy discount, rainy day discount, young collector discount, and a darn nice machine.

And I did some barter and got a Zenith Transoceanic T600 which is cool. The guy I got it from said it works but it just sits there making motorboat noises - time for new condensers. AM, shortwave, and a phonograph jack for an aux cord--now Kelly can listen to her music.

Met a lot of nice folks from the radio clubs too and even though most of the day got spent in Waffle House I still can't wait for the next one and hopefully get there for opening night.

Charles

(P.S. if I gave you a stack of Pathé records I found more at home; message me and I will mail them to you)