WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!

Post by Zwebie »

Hopefully I am not offending any of our members but, am I the only one who thinks that the multiple electric needle listings of multiple Ebay sellers are a pain in the Kiester! Over 40 pages of listings, all posted at the exact same time! It takes over an hour to get thru them just trying to see if I missed an actual Talking Machine Item! :o

Just my 2 cents, Bob S.

(PS: I'm glad I got that off my chest!) :roll:
Last edited by Zwebie on Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUT!

Post by JerryVan »

Ticks me off too. I just put their seller ID in my search filter and none of that shows up.

It also irks me when 120 78 RPM records shows up in the "phonographs" category. There's a category for records!

Click here...
1.png
1.png (16.75 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Then here...
2.png
2.png (6.48 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Check off these 2 boxes, then enter the "excluded" seller ID here...
3.png
3.png (17.19 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Then save your search on your favorites bar.

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!

Post by gramophone-georg »

Agree. The phono section on eBay is often so clogged with crap listings that it's several pages until an actual phono can be found.

The other thing that bugs me is the huge dump of 78s in the "vinyl" records section from India and the UK. I see that eBay recently removed the "location" filter too, grrr.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I think that eBay should have a section specifically for ‘shellac’ records but I suppose people would still put them under ‘vinyl’. It seems most people these days think it’s all the same.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I agree with everything said so far but I'd like to add if I may that UK Ebay is also regularly clogged up with listings for individual needle tins, most of which are fairly common and not deserving of the data they use up. Searching for anything has become more difficult since many people don't seem to realise they are using the wrong section.

When all's said and done, this is a very First World problem admittedly!

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I get irritated when I’ll go the vintage electronics section of eBay and its listings of crap modern suitcase turntables, sometimes it’s a whole lot of SAMS photofacts too. Or if I find something at a reasonable price I can’t get because it’s local pick up only and you live absolutely nowhere near the item in the listing! Or items that aren’t meant to be bid only items such parts I need for what I’m working on, so I gotta wait 5 more days for something only one person (me) needs to complete something! 🤬🤬🤬

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Such problems... Does anyone recall the days before the internet, when you placed want ads in publications like the Michigan Antique Phonograph Society newsletter, ("In the Groove")? Parts were otherwise found by word of mouth. What a pain the butt those days were... :roll:

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

JerryVan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:36 pm Such problems... Does anyone recall the days before the internet, when you placed want ads in publications like the Michigan Antique Phonograph Society newsletter, ("In the Groove")? Parts were otherwise found by word of mouth. What a pain the butt those days were... :roll:
Yeah, but on the other hand, there was SO much more available 'in the wild' in those days...
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

You can also filter results by putting a minus (-) sign in front of the filtered word, like this:
-needle
I bet the needle seller thinks that he is a real entremanure! (No I didn't misspell that.)

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Among my least favourite UK eBay sellers are the one who lists nothing but case keys, and the ones who list common low value 78's individually. As for needle tins, I refine my searches to try to exclude them, but still they creep in.