Soooo close, speed too low

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
xtal_01
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I repair toys to tractors

Soooo close, speed too low

Post by xtal_01 »

OK ... what a fun day ...

I repacked the springs ... except for the mess of the old graphite, it went well.

Then I assembled the motor ... spring would not catch the center pin.

Took it apart ... bent the ends ... now a different spring would not catch ...

I did this 5 time!

It seems the springs on my machine (and I suspect the springs have been changed at some point) needed to be very flat right at the catch and are pinched almost in place (I actually noticed this when pulling them out).

Anyhow .... got it to run!

Now ... with the speed turned all the way up (and I checked to make sure the speed control nut was in all the way), it will only do 60 RPM when set to 80 (checked it with a strobe).

The governor is working great ... weights to out ... disc comes in ... touches pads ... regulates speed.

Just the speed is not high enough.

Looking at the machine, I noticed the shaft can more back and forth a bit.

Do I just slide the shaft till I get the speed right?

Also, my washers between the motor and wood, fell apart when I took the motor out. Are the felt or rubber or leather or ? How thick?

Thanks ... Mike

PS ... how many turns do you crank a three spring machine?
Attachments
IMG_2524.JPG

Jmcmahan67
Victor Jr

Re: Soooo close, speed too low

Post by Jmcmahan67 »

I issues such as this are fairly common, so let’s take it one step at a time. I presume you know that the speed adjustment screw can be raised or lowered with the set screw on the bottom? When you say that the shaft is adjustable and moves up and down, which shaft are you talking about? As regards how many times to wind a three spring machine, it depends on how much grease is in the barrels. I myself would wind one between 80 and 100 times but probably not more than that. I’ve gone up his eyes 120 but that’s really stretching them out to the end. I’m not really sure about the original material for rubber washers, but I always just get a set of round rubber washers from Home Depot which are just about the same size, but
slightly thicker than what was originally used. However, they work great.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

As mentioned above, you can calibrate the speed control by adjusting the screw on the bottom of the speed control. You can also move the governor assembly fore & aft by making adjustments to the governor end bearings.

xtal_01
Victor Jr

Post by xtal_01 »

Hey!

OK, now that I am awake (you can see I wrote at 3 in the morning ... just couldn't stop working on it) ....

I have never touched a victrola so I was only putting 20 or 30 turns into it ... I got brave last night and put 40 in.

It is a bit noisy, I really only noticed it when I put the motor back into the cabinet ... I was guessing I needed the washer ... I will pick some up today.

Now for the speed.

Yes, I figured out that the screw under the speed adjuster raised and lowered the cam ... it is in all the way .. to the speed adjustment is on full.

When it is on "full" ... I think is says 80 RPM's ... it is still only going 60 RPM's.

It came to me just before I went to bed that the governor end bearings were also like a shaft and looked like they could be slide forward or back. This would move the shaft and these when it came in contact with the brake.

I didn't want to try it till I asked you guys.

From the last post, it looks like I am correct .. loosen the two screws and shift the shaft.

I will give this a try today.

Thanks so very much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Jmcmahan67
Victor Jr

Post by Jmcmahan67 »

Noise is most likely governor related. Could very well be that the bearings are too tight or loose. you can find the rubber washers and the plumbing section of Home Depot… Generally around the sink supply line…. I buy them in a pack with a lot of different sizes. But only one size is really just right.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

As others have said, the speed control itself is adjustable up and down. Next, follow the shaft from the speed control to the part that rubs against the governor wheel. That part is adjustable. The adjustment of last resort is to move the governor on its shaft.

Jerry B.

xtal_01
Victor Jr

Post by xtal_01 »

I know the speed adjustment knob is adjustable.

Are you saying the shaft that goes from that knob to the two leather brakes is adjustable also???????

And this is why didn't want to touch it at 3 in the morning without checking with you guys first !!!!!!!

I just looked .... I see a small screw under the governor shaft on the rod. I am guessing this is what you are talking about.

Moving that screw moves the point of contact for the governor.

Will give that a try first!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Hi- Just a caution- Don't loosen those governor bearings (ends of gov shaft) unless the main springs are completely run down-- Otherwise there will be a quick release of all remaining tension--- ouch. Sounds like you are on the right path to getting the motor adjusted-- These are the fun "problems" in the hobby :)

Brad Abell

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Seconded that. I lost some skin on my 3-spring machine when I did the same governor adjustment and it unwound at once. I stuck my hand in the gears to stop it, like an idiot, and it collected the blood tax.

As far as the speed, try to adjust the point of the actual friction piece on the speed control shaft. If I have a machine that won't go fast or slow enough I try to get some wiggle room here first. You can also try to move the collar for the governor itself a little bit more, but of course only do this if the springs are completely discharged of energy or you will tear up the gears and probably your hands too.

I recommend also ensuring all the governor screws are tight and the tiny washers are in the correct places. Also, the governor balls can come loose sometimes so tighten them too. Good luck!

Charles

xtal_01
Victor Jr

Post by xtal_01 »

OK .... well I see now the screw on the bottom is not really an adjustment since it is level with the shaft, just holds the brake bracket on.

That said, I am not sure it some toyed with this before me.

I grabbed it with needle nose pliers and just make sure it was still tight on the shaft.

I checked the spring .... seems OK.

I set the top knob to 78 .... then moved the bottom adjustment screw (while making sure not to move the adjuster itself.

I used the strobe app I found online (free) ... set it for 1092 RPM (78 x 14 ... the ration of the governor shaft).

Not sure what did it but I am sure close.

I found a strove disc online ... cut it out and put it on the shaft .... should be 78 ... actual 80 ... a lot lot closer!

It even goes right down to the minimal on the dial and keeps going now.

I will tinker with it tonight more ... make sure it was not a fluke and stays the same speed.

Thanks so much for all the help and advice!!!!!

I am sure I will have questions as time goes on !