What Did You Bring Home From Stanton's?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonojim
Victor IV

What Did You Bring Home From Stanton's?

Post by phonojim »

After spending two days at the Stanton auction, I was wondering how many went or bid online or by phone and what you won. I went Thursday and Saturday and brought home a mahogany bow front cabinet (rough, but repairable), a model B Gem with 2 & 4 min. gearing and the Victor and Columbia master book sets.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: What Did You Bring Home From Stanton's?

Post by JerryVan »

I bought a really nice Columbia AJ, the "second" version, just after the top-wind. I picked up a cheap record cabinet to set the AJ on as well. It will clean up nicely and only cost $35. Lots of clamps and glue on it right now. Also, a very cool steam engine that had previously belonged to a friend of mine, now deceased. I had admired it in his collection when I first saw it 25+ years ago. (I know you know these things already Jim ;) )

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Nice. How were the prices this year? Wondering if my machines are keeping up with grocery prices :lol:

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

travisgreyfox wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:34 pm Nice. How were the prices this year? Wondering if my machines are keeping up with grocery prices :lol:
While there were certainly some great bargains to be had, I felt that prices were definitely "up" at this auction. Nowhere near the "good ole days", but decidedly up from the last few auctions. That said, I haven't been at a Stanton auction in the past few years, but I have keeping up with the auction results. It sure felt great to be back! It was also nice to visit with some of the familiar faces, both from past auctions and from this forum.

Homestead
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Deep in the East Texas Phonograph Desert

Post by Homestead »

Bid online and holding my breath on the shipping costs as I live in Texas...I went all in this auction (for me). Purchased an AB MacDonald for 700, a Berliner crank, a Columbia 2-4 BKT and an Edison Home with Blue flowered horn. Some things really went really cheap, others went for premium prices for the Stanton auction. A whole lot of music boxes were represented at this auction, more than I remember in the past. A whole lot of Reginaphones were up for sale as well. Overall I was super happy for what I got. The Edison Concert with Banner decal went for 850 I had to stop just short of that...as I currently have no playable 5 in concert cylinders....that would have required another major investment just to listen to it. Maybe someday I will get to attend in person.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Homestead wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:26 pm Bid online and holding my breath on the shipping costs as I live in Texas...I went all in this auction (for me). Purchased an AB MacDonald for 700, a Berliner crank, a Columbia 2-4 BKT and an Edison Home with Blue flowered horn. Some things really went really cheap, others went for premium prices for the Stanton auction. A whole lot of music boxes were represented at this auction, more than I remember in the past. A whole lot of Reginaphones were up for sale as well. Overall I was super happy for what I got. The Edison Concert with Banner decal went for 850 I had to stop just short of that...as I currently have no playable 5 in concert cylinders....that would have required another major investment just to listen to it. Maybe someday I will get to attend in person.
Sounds like it was a good time judging by everyone's posts. I actually prefer when the machines do not sell for too cheap, but also do not want them to expensive (I want more!!!). Happy medium in prices is what's best for everyone.