national talking machine forum day

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bostonmike1
Victor I

national talking machine forum day

Post by bostonmike1 »

Hello my friends------although i have less power than my knowledge of phonographs, i proclaim January 10,2009 NATIONAL TALKING MACHINE FORUM DAY. the only problem is, if you take off from work you are all on your own, since i cannot pay you for staying home. the reason for this self imposed proclamation is two-fold. first, although i do not have much to share with my fellow members as to things concerning this enjoyable hobby of collecting phonos, you have all taught me and helped me much.you have all reinforced my belief that people are good----------just find a common ground and everything else will work itself out. so thanks! second, i proclaimed this holiday because i just want bthe day off. if my boss buys this holiday, then he is dumber than myself. but hey guys and Sharon also (she is my favorite guy) i need a favor. before the prior forum was destroyed wednesday,i asked you all your opinion as to how to restore our machines, and your advice was invaluable to me. the mistake i made was not to print it out for future review and now it is lost to me forever.if you could re-post your replies it would be greatly appreciated. the fellow who collected antique autos,had a very interesting reply. thanks to all. your friend michael

Neophone
Victor III

Re: national talking machine forum day

Post by Neophone »

Michael,

WOW! Thank you! If anyone need a note for work, I'll be happy to write one. ;)

Michael, I'm not a restoration expert, I'm still learning just like you. I fall into the "as little as possible" camp. I want my machines to look nice as well as sound nice, but I don't want a bright shiny poly-coated machine that looks like a reproduction. IIRC you asked about a bedplate for example. If it's peeling or seriously pitted &c. well then it has to be stripped and redone. I had to completely strip the back-bracket of my Columbia Eclipse and the Taper-Tube support of my VV-210, but I'll always try to be as conservative in my approach to restoration. I do have a few machines that may need re-amalgamation of more. I keep holding off-I want to lean as much about my options as possible.

Have you gotten yourself a copy of Eric L. Reiss' The Compleat Talking Machine (yes that's how it's spelled on the cover), Sonoran Publishing, LLC./ It's a superb starter book for the hobby, the first book related to the hobby I got actually. (That's a post I'll get up in the links section-recommended books. George, I think you might be able to help me with that one. ;), Send me a PM or drop me a line)

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!