Do you know your serial numbers?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
antiquekid3
Victor Jr

Re: Do you know your serial numbers?

Post by antiquekid3 »

It seems as though there is something similar about all of these phonographs stolen...they are all small enough for one person to (fairly) easily carry. Unfortunately, those seem to be the earlier and valuable ones, but also the cheaper suitcase models. Keeping a good collection of photographs seem to be great for documenting phonographs. What a shame, though...having to go through so much trouble just to keep our precious phonographs safe!

I'll make sure that someday, my (unbuilt) vacuum-tube driven 1,000,000 volt Tesla coil is set up for intruder defense! :D They won't get away without feeling some pain! :shock:

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Do you know your serial numbers?

Post by Valecnik »

Even though I think theft is unlikely, I think it's prudent (and also very interesting) to have all of your serial numbers. I have all of my serial numbers including those on the mechanisms if they are different. I also have all the serial numbers on my reproducers written down. I also have photos of most of the SN plates where they exist. I guess I did this more out of interest than out of fear of theft but some theft protection is a great benefit. Thieves stay away! :evil:

coyote
Victor II

Motor S/N locations

Post by coyote »

I have three serial number questions:

1. The motor serial number of most Edison machines is obvious, but where is the motor s/n on the Opera? There's a raised number underneath the front edge of the bedplate, but I don't think that's it. I realized that while I had the model plate serial numbers, I didn't record the motor serials. Help would be appreciated...thanks!

2. Would anyone be kind enough to PM me with current contact info for Terry Baer? So far, I've tried three addresses (aol, anheuser-busch, and edisontriumph.com) but all of them are invalid. While the database is still up, is the site being maintained?

3. What would you say the serial number pictured below is? It looks like an 8 overstamping a 6 (or vice-versa-?), but the apparent "6" looks deeper and doesn't seem to match the font of the rest of the numbers. Thanks in advance for answers to any/all questions.

Bill
Attachments
triumphserial.jpg

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Motor S/N locations

Post by MordEth »

coyote wrote:3. What would you say the serial number pictured below is? It looks like an 8 overstamping a 6 (or vice-versa-?), but the apparent "6" looks deeper and doesn't seem to match the font of the rest of the numbers. Thanks in advance for answers to any/all questions.
Bill,

After zooming your photo, I say that it reads 52483. I wonder if they didn’t misapply the serial the first time, and then corrected that digit.

Unfortunately, someone else is going to need to help you on your other questions. :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.