Odd items found inside phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edisone
Victor IV

Re: Odd items found inside phonographs

Post by Edisone »

Sidewinder wrote:When you print your propoganda on oil absorbent cardboard ................

though there is a 30 year + time lapse between the machine and the piece of poster?
Know that the swastika was used all over the place, long before it was used by the Nazi party. Look for an Edison ad, showing college boys listening to a phonograph sitting on a tablecloth decorated with swastikas. Buffalo has an 1896 office building with swastikas EVERYWHERE in the tile floors, walls, the stairs, even on the cast-iron elevator cages. I was just a symbol of good luck and such, before being soiled by hateful idiots.

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

antique1973 wrote:In my previous Silvertone I found a pair of old pictures from possibly the 40's and a pair of donation envelopes stamped with year 1930 from a church in Michigan. One of the pictures has a little boy
dressed in what appears to be a WWII style uniform. I am pretty sure I have scans of the
pics on my other computer and will post them if I can.

I also found a small green key for a windup toy in my first L-Door cabinet.

Found the pics....
Attachments
OLDPICS.jpeg

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Amberola 1-A wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote: I'd love to have that Felix the Cat alone!! :rose:
Here ya go Tinkerbell!

Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schoenhut-1924-Feli ... 2c5bcfff93
Yikes! Now all I have to do is come up with the $1,600.00!! :lol:

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I worked for Pacific Power & Light, an electric utility. About five years ago I received a call from a meter reader who stumbled across a Victrola while reading his route. He said the price was $125 so I asked for information from the ID tag. He said it read "VTLA" so I asked him to place a $20 deposit and we'd pick it up after work. Imagine my surprise when I got to the sale and it was a flat top VTLA!

Now for the rest of the story and how it relates to this thread...

When I got the machine in my basement I inspected the contents of the accessory drawer. I was surprised to find one of my business cards. The address on the card was from a house that we hadn't lived in more than a dozen years. I probably met the owner at the Sounds of Nostalgia phonograph sale and gave them my card. I never had a clue that I was talking to someone that owned a Pooley VTLA.

Jerry Blais

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

Jerry B. wrote:I worked for Pacific Power & Light, an electric utility. About five years ago I received a call from a meter reader who stumbled across a Victrola while reading his route. He said the price was $125 so I asked for information from the ID tag. He said it read "VTLA" so I asked him to place a $20 deposit and we'd pick it up after work. Imagine my surprise when I got to the sale and it was a flat top VTLA!

Now for the rest of the story and how it relates to this thread...

When I got the machine in my basement I inspected the contents of the accessory drawer. I was surprised to find one of my business cards. The address on the card was from a house that we hadn't lived in more than a dozen years. I probably met the owner at the Sounds of Nostalgia phonograph sale and gave them my card. I never had a clue that I was talking to someone that owned a Pooley VTLA.

Jerry Blais
I'm having a peculiar feeling of déjà vu... did you share this story with us on another occasion? For some reason it sounds familiar. That would be a bit freaky to find one of your own business cards in a drawer; kind of has that twilight zone feel to it. :rose:

Tinkerbell
Victor III

Post by Tinkerbell »

antique1973 wrote:
antique1973 wrote:In my previous Silvertone I found a pair of old pictures from possibly the 40's and a pair of donation envelopes stamped with year 1930 from a church in Michigan. One of the pictures has a little boy
dressed in what appears to be a WWII style uniform. I am pretty sure I have scans of the
pics on my other computer and will post them if I can.

I also found a small green key for a windup toy in my first L-Door cabinet.

Found the pics....
Actually, judging by the clothing and hairstyles alone, I believe those photos are more likely to have been taken in the 20's. :rose:

deghi
Victor Jr

Post by deghi »

I opened up the back of a flood damaged victrola and found 3 army men pointing their snipers out at my face. I also recently took the motor out of a sonora troubadour as it had stopped and found a McDonalds straw jammed through it.

Ampico66
Victor I

Post by Ampico66 »

In 1999 I bought a Victrola IV in Las Vegas, $45. I was so happy to own one. All I'd seen for sale previously were priced at $300+ at antique shops. The machine was missing the Exhibition reproducer. When going home on the plane, I found it tucked behind the broken slats of the grill.

Ampico66
Victor I

Post by Ampico66 »

I forgot to mention that I also found a Camden Dairy milk bottle cap inside my Victor Revere. That has to be the most interesting and best thing I've found, despite the monetary and practical value of the Exhibition reproducer I found in the other machine.
Attachments
Camden_Dairy01.jpg
Camden_Dairy01.jpg (219.45 KiB) Viewed 2773 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I bought a lyre-grille Amberola 1A back in 1984 which I still own. When I purchased it, the crank was missing, and I was not looking forward to trying to find one. Once home, I went through it carefully, and - voila! - there was the crank, wedged between a drawer guide and the cabinet wall.

I also found an unopened letter in a Victrola. It's dated in the 1930s and as I recall it's from the IRS... I never opened it!

George P.