Odd items found inside phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
A Ford 1
Victor II

Re: Odd items found inside phonographs

Post by A Ford 1 »

I bought a 1 A last spring from Stanton auction from which I removed the drawers. I found two very old bobby pins both were very open with a bout a ¼ to ⅜ inch space between the ends not closed as I recall my mother, sister, and first wife useing. one was just made out of straight wire the other from wave shaped wire and both were much longer then any I had seen in the past. Additionally, there was the top title disc from a record cylinder box. All the drawers had been marked at the factory with chalk to identify there position in the cabinet.
Allen

JayandtheImp
Victor Jr

Post by JayandtheImp »

I found this gizmo called a "Music Master" behind an album of records in my Late Grandmother's old Victor 260.

You remove the reproducer, and attach this small speaker to the tone arm, and plug it into an early radio
to use the internal horn to amplify the sound.

Surprisingly, it still works. (I plugged it into a schoolhouse phono headphone jack)

hearsedriver
Victor III

Things Found Inside Old Phonographs

Post by hearsedriver »

Recently, while removing the motor board on a 1916 VV-IX that I was restoring, I found this beautiful pair of 1916 Hipco No.6 Batteries. These were also made in 1916. Hipwell Mfg. invented the first single cell batteries and were in business from 1898 to around 2001? They made flashlights for many years. Anyway, I sold this pair on Ebay and got nearly what I paid for the Victor. There are 3 small holes drilled on the top of the motor board directly above where I found the batteries which I assume was were a small light was mounted at one time. I can see a slight indention where something round was mounted. Share your stories of unusual items that you have found inside a phonograph.
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Things Found Inside Old Phonographs

Post by marcapra »

I bought an Edisonic Beethoven that had an envelope inside the record slats compartment. I had to remove a few of the slats to get the envelope out. I was hoping to find some original Edison paperwork from 1927 or something like the original receipt. Imagine my disappointment when all I found inside the envelope were stacks of 100 dollar bills. Over $2000 worth! And who said there's no money in big console phonographs!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

marcapra wrote:I bought an Edisonic Beethoven that had an envelope inside the record slats compartment. I had to remove a few of the slats to get the envelope out. I was hoping to find some original Edison paperwork from 1927 or something like the original receipt. Imagine my disappointment when all I found inside the envelope were stacks of 100 dollar bills. Over $2000 worth! And who said there's no money in big console phonographs!
Oh, that's where my envelope went. My wife was supposed to remove it first. If I PM you my address, could you kindly send it back? You can keep one of the bills for your trouble.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

hearsedriver
Victor III

Post by hearsedriver »

marcapra wrote:I bought an Edisonic Beethoven that had an envelope inside the record slats compartment. I had to remove a few of the slats to get the envelope out. I was hoping to find some original Edison paperwork from 1927 or something like the original receipt. Imagine my disappointment when all I found inside the envelope were stacks of 100 dollar bills. Over $2000 worth! And who said there's no money in big console phonographs!

That is amazing! Congrats. What year were the bills minted?

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I knew you'd ask that. Unfortunately, they weren't from the 20's. I don't think any hidden stash of cash that big could have made through the Depression without being found and spent. They were mostly from 1991, I think. And sorry George, the money is gone. And, no, I didn't keep the money.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

marcapra wrote:I knew you'd ask that. Unfortunately, they weren't from the 20's. I don't think any hidden stash of cash that big could have made through the Depression without being found and spent. They were mostly from 1991, I think. And sorry George, the money is gone. And, no, I didn't keep the money.
Did the meth dealer who stashed it turn up at your house...? :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

I didn't really find much when I opened up my VV-360 for servicing. A gold-plated ball point pen, a nail file, and a some soft tone needles. But on the other hand, when I went to service my good buddy's 7-30, I pulled the motorboard up and found a rat's nest made out of grill cloth, steel needles, and old carpet. The same was also found in the back of the record storage shelf.
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

I just picked up a Victrola VI, and I noticed that something was stuck beneath the horn. Eventually, I pulled this piece of paper out of there. It is actually the back cover of a Big Little Book titled "The Story of Skippy," which was published in 1934. I imagine that some kid back in the 30's may have torn apart his book and stuffed it in the family Victrola.
Attachments
Victrola VI 2.jpg