Odd items found inside phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Ampico66
Victor I

Re: Odd items found inside phonographs

Post by Ampico66 »

I found this milk cap inside one of my Victrola Revere models (I owned and sold two in my life).

I also found a tiny celluloid baby doll with a flapper-style perm. It was marked "Japan" -- a lot of celluloid items were made in Japan during the 1910s - 1950s. Because of the hair style of the doll, I assumed it was contemporary to the 1920s Brunswick phonograph that it came out of.
Attachments
Camden_Dairy01.jpg
Camden_Dairy01.jpg (219.45 KiB) Viewed 2370 times

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Interesting stuff found in these machines. A bit of archaeology.

Sorry, no before-and-after photos, but my second machine I ever bought (this maybe half a year ago) was a 1918 VV-VI in horrendous condition. I bought it at an auction for $5 with no other bids. Frankly, I could have gotten it for $1. (Frankly, I shouldn't have bought it at all.) It had resided in a barn for some lengthy time and was filled with all sorts of wispy debris. Why? Because a rat had lived in it. And it stunk to high you-know-what. The stench was due to urine. Long story short, the oak finish was shot, the motor was seized, the horn was rusted, no crank, no escutcheon, and the bottom board was warped. Now the motorboard on this particular version of the VI had originally been glued on with hide glue. Of course the motorboard had come loose at some time and had been nailed back on with three nails to each side. Fortunately, the rat had vacated the premises.

And so began my first talking machine adventure (well, not counting the Domestic Talking machine I had found about a month earlier.) So after stripping it, applying my own shellac that I prepared myself, putting a new motor in it (cost me $2--I wasn't going to put any money into this baby--that motor came from another auction, along with a better turntable for a buck), cleaning up the horn, and a sundry other things, the machine was ready for playing. And play it did! These things are robust. Total cost to me was about $25.

Later this year, the machine will be on its way to Newfoundland, to the fair city of Cornerbrook. Therein lies my brother's house, and inside that house, you may find my brother. He wants the machine.

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

I found this in a C-19 behind the horn?
SF.jpg

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

Guess why these are called potter wasps!

more about the phonograph once its a bit cleaned up!
Attachments
wasp2.jpg

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

Not as interesting as many of the past posts, but will revive this great thread for another day at least. While finally getting to rebuilding the motor on my VV-XVII Walnut, I came across this 1944 Mercury dime.I used to see them quite often as a child but can't remember the last time I saw one. It was under the speed control plate and dirty as all heck. My machine is 19183 which puts it around 1921. I would have to think the dime fell in around 1944 or shortly there after due to the limited wear.
Attachments
2016-03-07 12.25.07.jpg
2016-03-07 11.50.24.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Andersun wrote:Several years ago I picked up a C250 Diamond Disc and in the bottom of the cabinet underneath the drawers was a condolence card from Harvard University concerning a student who died.
I found it......
Attachments
Harvard-D.jpg

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

A few years ago I bought an Edison C150, complete with its reproducer, etc. When I removed the grille there strapped into its wood shipping cradle was another reproducer which looked as though it had never been removed. Why it was there and another reproducer of exactly the same time installed for use I will likely never know.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

First off, not expecting and totally disgusted by all the bugs and dead things found in phonographs, lol...

My first ever phonograph was an LU-37... found these behind the horn.
Attachments
Edison LU-37 Instruction book.JPG
Edison LU-37 Instruction book.JPG (131.9 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
Edison LU-37 packing slip.JPG
Edison LU-37 packing slip.JPG (133.8 KiB) Viewed 1985 times

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

phonophan79 wrote:First off, not expecting and totally disgusted by all the bugs and dead things found in phonographs, lol...

My first ever phonograph was an LU-37... found these behind the horn.
You're very lucky to have the packing/shipping slip!

Using George Paul's decypher for the date code, your London Upright was crated up for shipping July 17, 1924. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 255#p92255.

I've paid pretty close attention to these packing/shipping slips, noting the accuracy of George's hypothesis in his above linked post; I have complete faith in his analysis of the date codes used with this type of packing/shipping slip (after 1919).

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

Merry Christmas 1920! and Healthy New Year! Found this in another S-19 that is in bad shape, but getting better....

A little background on the stamp:
The American Red Cross sponsored the Christmas Seal until 1919, when the National Tuberculosis Association (later renamed the American Lung Association) assumed exclusive control of the project. The emblem of the NTA, the double-barred cross, appeared for the first time on a Christmas Seal in 1920 and is still used today.
Attachments
2016-07-12 11.28.05.jpg
2016-05-07 20.54.17.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat