Not Sure About Ebay

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Not Sure About Ebay

Post by Marty Bufalini »

I got a notification from ebay to update my info so I can get paid. I know they are no longer using PayPal. But when I went to update my personal info, ebay wants my social security number, which I am very uncomfortable giving them.

Is this on the up and up?

Thanks.

tictalk
Victor II

Re: Not Sure About Ebay

Post by tictalk »

Unfortunately it is , I finally gave in and did it last month

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

eBay and PayPal are no longer associated companies, so eBay are now deducting their ever increasing fees at source and paying the net sale proceeds into the seller's bank account. It follows therefore that if you wish to continue selling on eBay you will have to give them your bank account details, which for security reasons I am not prepared to do. In the UK they have not yet demanded our National Insurance numbers, but I would not put it past them to try.

Most business sellers have had to knuckle under, but I as an occasional private seller who does not need the money can choose not to. If I ever decide to resume selling on eBay I will open another separate account with a different bank, purely to receive their payments which will then be transferred elsewhere.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Marty Bufalini wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:43 am I got a notification from ebay to update my info so I can get paid. I know they are no longer using PayPal. But when I went to update my personal info, ebay wants my social security number, which I am very uncomfortable giving them.

Thanks.
Yes, it's necessary because eBay will be reporting your sales info to the IRS on a 1099-K each year if you meet or exceed the Federal or State reporting thresholds. Since the data is used for reporting (potential) income, your SSN is required. The Federal threshold is actually $20K or 200 sales, so if you're just selling a few things here and there you probably won't get data sent to the IRS. However, some states have a threshold as low as $600 (including mine, unfortunately).

You'll need to start keeping records about what you sell, associated fees and expenses, cost of goods sold, etc. so that you can file appropriate forms and pay taxes correctly.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Marty Bufalini wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:43 am I got a notification from ebay to update my info so I can get paid. I know they are no longer using PayPal. But when I went to update my personal info, ebay wants my social security number, which I am very uncomfortable giving them.

Thanks.
Marty-
It is, but there's a workaround. You can apply for an EIN number for free and get one within minutes, even just as an individual:
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-bu ... ein-online

Use this for your eBay Managed Payments account rather than your SSN if you prefer. As long as the name on the EIN, attached bank account, and eBay account all match, you are good to go.

Hope this helps.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

So does eBay now send you a Form-1099 for the proceeds of your sales? I haven't sold anything in years.

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

They're required to report to the IRS over a certain amount.

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Gramophone Georg

I have an EIN and the site wouldn't accept it.

Thanks,

Marty

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Marty Bufalini wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:13 pm Gramophone Georg

I have an EIN and the site wouldn't accept it.

Thanks,

Marty
That's strange- they say they accept it:
https://secureir.ebaystatic.com/cr/v/c1 ... rsize2.pdf
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Great, more taxes. :roll: