Why so many horns? And so few?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
USlakeside
Victor III

Why so many horns? And so few?

Post by USlakeside »

Why is it that there seems to be an inexhaustible supply of cylinder phonograph horns on ebay and online, a regular sprinkling of all parts colubia (disc), but hardly ever any horns for a victor???

Any thoughts?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Why so many horns? And so few?

Post by estott »

I think part of it is that cylinder machines became obsolete but they were fairly easy to store away in the attic so they survive in quantity. Horn machines became obsolescent- new technology pushed them to the background but you could still use them- dealers used to offer trade-ins for old machines just to get rid of them.

Another little thing: a lot of disc machine motors were recycled to wind up fishing lines for trolling- cylinder motors didn't work for the purpose. I talked to an old timer who said he'd broken up quite a few machines in his youth and back mount horn machines were perferred. You took off the arm and turntable, attached a reel to the spindle, and removed the governor.

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

Before Edison starting making big horns for his cylinder machines there were many Companies that made them or different sizes and varieties amd various types of cranes as well, and continued to make them, after Edison started to offer his own Morning Glory horns and cranes etc. Were there off market horns made for Columbia and Victor Disc Machines? As soon as Victor and Columbia were in the Disc Record business they offered their own horns with their machines, and varieties as well, such as the black and brass, flower, and than the Various styles of Oak horns. Also the horned disc machines were phased out gradually after the internal Horn Victrola really became popular within a few years of its invention in 1906.

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

I think horns for cylinder machines were much more likely to become orphans and disc machine horns stayed with the machine over the years.