Collecting Nipper

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Collecting Nipper

Post by Edisonfan »

Besides, collecting DD's, 78's, cylinders, and phonographs. I have started collecting "Nipper" apart from the plaster "Nipper" most of my nippers are repros. Anyway, I was coruious, if anyone else collects this dog?

Paul

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Collecting Nipper

Post by MordEth »

I think that we have at least a few Nipper collectors here, although I am not one of them. Although, I have been collecting images of Nipper to get him a bit more represented in the stock avatar gallery.

Here’s the most recent one:

Since HMV is still using him as a mascot, that would make him the longest running corporate mascot of which I am aware...does anyone have a mascot with a longer history?

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

I have a couple of items, but I prefer the originals such as needle storage cases and record dusters to the zillions of repros.

There are some avid Nipper collectors out there. You usually see quite a bit of Nipper stuff (old & new) for sale at phono shows.

The Rolfs published a book about Nipper collectibles a couple of years ago:

http://my.athenet.net/~nipper/
Best regards ... AZ*

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Paul, I used to be an avid "Nipper Collector" and I've amassed a lot of Nipperie by following the red book "Guide to Collecting Nipper Souvenirs" by Leonard Petts and Ruth Edge, very closely.

A few years back, I stopped as it was getting very pricey with all the stuff appearing on Ebay quite frequently. I acquired quite alot of things from the late Ruth Lambert who was the UK's Number One needle tin and HMV ephemera expert / dealer.

Let me know if you want any advice on anything Nipper related. I can probably advise you on prices to pay, what to avoid (repro copies) etc. and would be pleased to help you.

It can be good fun collecting the stuff as there is a good supply of it still in circulation.

Steve
Last edited by Steve on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Thank you Steve!

Paul

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Steve wrote: I was a good friend of the late Ruth Lambert who was the UK's Number One needle tin and HMV ephemera expert / dealer - I bought a lot of stuff from her over the years.

Steve
Unfortunately, I did not have the pleasure to become acquainted with Ruth Lambert, the needle queen. I only "met" her once - as competitor of the famous HMV shield below. Every official HMV dealer got one and displayed it proudly.

Last edited by Starkton on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

What's the story with the one above? Did she outbid you on Ebay or something?
Last edited by Steve on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

richardh

Post by richardh »

I've never seen one of these shields before...approximately how large are they? Its nice to have one from the coronation year too.

Nice find.

RJ 8-)

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Steve wrote: What's the story with the one above though? Did she outbid you on Ebay or something?
I have won the shield in an ebay auction against Mrs. Lambert. The seller was a descendant of the original owner. She (the seller) presented me with a photo of the shop of her great grandfather, see below.

The size of the black wooden board which is the original mounting is about 6" x 7"

The nailed on shield is silvered brass or copper sheet. Mine is in good condition - the silver is darkened in places but could easily be cleaned.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Very nice, starkton.