Help Me ID This Cylinder

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Aaron
Victor II

Help Me ID This Cylinder

Post by Aaron »

Hey guys,

Can anyone help tell me whether this is a 2 or 4min record? i am looking for a 2min version.
http://cgi.ebay.com/EDISON-CYLINDER-REC ... dZViewItem

Thanks,
Aaron

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Help Me ID This Cylinder

Post by MordEth »

Aaron,

According to the Cylinder Preservation & Digitization Project, that is a 4M Blue Amberol.

I usually use them first to do quick searches for cylinders, even though there are other resources.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Help Me I D This Cylinder

Post by Valecnik »

Aaron, this looks like a 4M blue amberol in a 2M wax cylinder box. Perhaps someone else can confirm but I think it unlikely this would have also been issued as a 2M record. I believe the composer was Irving Berlin ~ 1917 or 18.

cheers, bruce

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

I always check them first too.But the cylinder seem to be a 2min just by the looks.And i know they have gotten 4min and 2min numbers mixed before.

Aaron

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

thanks to you too Bruce.I know i have seen this in a 2min version before.But who knows i could be wrong.

Aaron

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

Blue Amberol 3275 was recorded on July 3, 1917 and released in October. "Over There" was never released on a 2-minute cylinder, as the song was written in 1917 and Edison ceased recording music on 2-minute cylinders with the releases for September 1912.
:squirrel:

Rocky

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

This is definitely a Blue Amberol. Look at the background color of the picture which is slightly reddish. Now compare the color of the cylinder which is in fact dark blue.

Furthermore, 3275 must have been issued previously during the brown wax era to be a 2-minute number. But 3275 matches perfectly to the BA number in the list I have. If you have a seen a 2-minute Edison with this particular title, then it was certainly a different song because 'Over there' is from 1917.

The only Edison 2-minute that would come close enough to that would be #9989 'The Home over there' - a hymn by the Edison Quartet from April 1908.

Norman

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

I think that enough people have chimed in on this to prove that it is definitely a Blue Amberol, but to add a bit more information, expanding on what was mentioned previously, “Over There” was composed and published in 1917 by George M. Cohan.

Norman mentioned that the color was off in the photo, and so here is a cropped and color-corrected photo (Auto Tone, Auto Contrast and Auto Color in Photoshop).

It’s still rather dark, but I think the blue in that is more obvious than the photo on eBay.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

Thanks for the replies you guys :D i thought this look like a bluely but i sware there was a 2min copy for sale on ebay or on "the other forum" and i missed it... Perhap an indistustable or columbia??

Aaron

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

WDC wrote:The only Edison 2-minute that would come close enough to that would be #9989 'The Home over there' - a hymn by the Edison Quartet from April 1908.

Norman
Aaron,

Darrell Lehman listed Edison 2-minute cylinder 9899, "The Home Over There" in his Ebay auction that closed last week. I've asked Darrell for the Ebay number of the listing so I can post it here for you to see. Then you will know whether that was the "Over There" that you recall seeing.

By the way, I didn't bid on the record as I don't really care much for the Edison Mixed Quartet; if it had been recorded by the Edison (Male) Quartet, I might have gone for it. IMHO, the Peerless Quartet gives a rousing performance of the song on Victor.

Rocky
Last edited by EdisonSquirrel on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.