Pathé help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
McIntus
Victor Jr
Personal Text: It's a what?

Re: Pathé help

Post by McIntus »

How great are you guys? Thanks to everyone for your help.

I believe I'll go back to the shop this week and make 'em an offer. Whatever I pay, it'll be worth the learning experience.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Just to be accurate- on a closer look the photo I found is not of the exact style of your machine. That said, you really don't need to do a museum-quality rebuild on this machine. Getting it into clean workable conndition would help, and any sort of grille would improve it.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I don't think I saw mention if there is a set screw that has to be loosened in order to turn the head? I know on my brunswick portable it has a set screw that must be loosened in order to reposition it? I think we also discussed here one day that perhaps if you want to play Pathé records a better choice sound wise might be using a Brunswick Ultona machine?

McIntus
Victor Jr
Personal Text: It's a what?

Post by McIntus »

larryh wrote:. . . if there is a set screw that has to be loosened in order to turn the head? I know on my brunswick portable it has a set screw that must be loosened in order to reposition it?
It does have a set screw - I removed it completely and the head still wouldn't turn. I suspect it's just gunked up with dried grease or oil, and I didn't want to force it. I'm pretty sure it can be made to work. Thanks for the tip about the Brunswick machine. I don't have many Pathé records yet, but the "universal" soundbox on this one appeals to me since I don't have anything like it. (Still a novice.)

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

Here's my Pathé model 25 with the reproducer set at the (admittedly) bizarre angle for playing lateral 78s. It does sound okay, though this machine by design isn't really all that loud, in either vertical or lateral position.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

As already has been mentioned, it could be your dealing with a type of pot metal and if so, they may not respond except by breaking. I had a run of tone arms that fell to pieces when I tried to adjust them in a way they used to, but would no longer move. Both looked like other metals, one brass and one Nickel, but both were not what they appeared and under a bit of pressure gave way.. I was not happy with that out come. In fact if that is the case I don't really know what can be done to save it?