"Electrified" VV-4-40

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

"Electrified" VV-4-40

Post by OrthoFan »

I spotted this on youtube a few days ago:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI2pPCCc29o[/youtube]

Not sure if I like the idea of creating an "electro-Frankenphone," but I guess if most of the original parts had deteriorated, it's not so bad...

An "unmodified" 4-40, once restored, actually sounds pretty good, even compared to a faux-Electrola

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdzpKc6BtYU[/youtube]

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: "Electrified" VV-4-40

Post by Phonofreak »

The original 4-40 sounds pretty good compared to the franken-phone. It's too bad to see a nice Victrola "modernized". I wish him the best of luck trying to sell it.
Harvey Kravitz

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

This sort of thing makes me scratch my head in puzzled bemusement. It's kind of fun, but why kill an acoustic Victrola? His amp is probably something from the 40's because he mentions the 6V6 which was a tube introduced in the later 30's. He really does have a tasteful Frankenphone: and he doesn't mention the unit he's using with the horn. He IS using the horn.....isn't he??
:|
Jim

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote: His amp is probably something from the 40's because he mentions the 6V6 which was a tube introduced in the later 30's. He really does have a tasteful Frankenphone: and he doesn't mention the unit he's using with the horn. He IS using the horn.....isn't he??

I left a comment on his video asking him these questions. I will wait to see what he says with interest. I think its an interesting project which appears to be well executed. Its a fun thing - to show what can be done with a few parts. I like it :) but the purist in me wants to scream LOL!

S-B-H

syncopeter
Victor II

Post by syncopeter »

He does use a period electric pickup though, so he may have started with an empty cabinet and built it up from there. The 4-40 is not that rare it looks to be well done and it is more or less a period modification. Not for the purists probably, but must confess I like it. Like hot rodding your old Ford V8.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Don't try this at home, kids! ;)

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

Well, a purist would have built an amp using a 27, a 50, and a couple of 81 rectifiers. ha ha.