I am the Edison phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Aaron
Victor II

Re: I am the Edison phonograph

Post by Aaron »

that sounds interesting...i have never even heard of that record.I would love to hear it though!

Aaron

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

gramophoneshane wrote:We've all heard the advertising cylinder "I Am The Edison Phonograph" that was released in about 1906, but has anyone heard "The Phonograph's Description Of Itself" on Edison Bell No.4000 & recorded by William Lynd & Russell Hunting in 1900/01?
I'm wondering if this record might have been the "inspiration" for Edison's famous record.
It was No. 400, if the record slip is right.
I missed it a while back and haven't heard it yet. William Lynd, M.I.E.E., F.R.M.S., was one of the earliest phonograph exhibitors in the UK, lecturing since around April 1889.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

gramophoneshane wrote:They must have left a "0" off the 400, as no.400 is Blue Danube by the London Concert orchestra, and was an 1896 release.
Do you have a complete listing of Edison United phonograph cylinders? From when date the first recordings?

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

gramophoneshane wrote:No, I have the "Catalogue of the first series (brown wax) Edison Bell two minute cylinder records in numerical order 1896-1902".
Shane,

Out of curiosity, is this something that could easily be scanned (i.e. how many pages is it)? If I could have scans of it to work with, this would be a great OCR project for me, as I think this might be a great resource to have online.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

gramophoneshane wrote:It's a 43 page book. My scanners out of action at the moment until I get a new cartridge next Thursday too.
Shane,

I’m not in any huge rush to do it, so if you’re interested in doing this, whenever you’re ready is good enough for me. :D
gramophoneshane wrote:I have been meaning to reloading the Columbia catalogue I had on Dan's board, and the Indestructible cylinder release dates list here. They're already in my computer, so you're welcome to use them if you like.
Certainly, if you’d like to send those pages to me either via e-mail or private message (or start a thread and post them as attachments), I think this would be another great resource to have online.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

That's quite interesting. Does anyone has a transfer of this cylinder?