Featured Phonograph № 6

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Featured Phonograph № 6

Post by Valecnik »

I looked around and found a reproduction of a 1904 French Gramophone catalogue offering the No. 3 for 45FR or 52FR 50 with an exhibition soundbox. Obviously it was offered on both sides of the channel too.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Steve wrote:You disappoint me. I'd have thought by now that you would have "Photoshopped" it out! ;)
Was this more what you had in mind? ;)

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

LOL! That's exactly what I had in mind! :)

Now, can you please make the actual horn look like that?

Steve

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Valecnik wrote:I looked around and found a reproduction of a 1904 French Gramophone catalogue offering the No. 3 for 45FR or 52FR 50 with an exhibition soundbox. Obviously it was offered on both sides of the channel too
Yes it was, Bruce. Thank you for confirming the prices in France too. I note though that you quote "No. 3" an not "New No. 3", can you be certain that this is the same machine and not the earlier No. 3 as I described in my OP?

The last examples might have been factory fitted with the Exhibition and some owners clearly later upgraded their machines to the Exhibition soundbox as well.

An NS3 appears in the Daniel Marty book "The Illustrated History of The Talking Machine" described incorrectly as a "Trademark" model - in Europe they are generally more forgiving about small inaccuracies and less pernickety when they describe machines and most collectors would happily accept this machine as a Trademark Dog model.
Last edited by Steve on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Steve, you are right. It just describes it as a no 3. On the next page is a picture and description of a "Nouveau (new) Gramophone no. 4" but that is a completely different machine, rear mount looking very much like an early Victor I, for 100fr. I can surely post a scan if it would be at all helpful but it appears it's the earlier No. 3.

cheers, bruce

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Steve wrote:Now, can you please make the actual horn look like that?
I wish I could! (Although I’d never have any free time because I’d have people beating down my door to restore things!)

With dents, the only thing that can be done is to hammer them out, right?

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

It is always wonderful to see a fabulous example such as this of an early Berliner Trademark Type Gramophone. It has been kept in such pristine shape for its age it is truly remarkable. Certainly a part of one's collection to display with great pride. thanks for sharing it with us.

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Great job editing the picture howver Steve even with that small blemish it's a great machine. Even if some of the academics might consider it no more than a "doorstop" as you say, I'd be glad to have something that old yet in such clean condition in my collection.

Cheers, bruce

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Thanks Bruce and Solophoneman!

Bruce, your last comment really does have some resonance with me, especially now that I've looked through your website!

Holy Grail! I felt as though I'd died and gone to Berliner Heaven - what an amazing collection of early and rare machines you have. Wow! How long did it take you to put that "little" lot together?

Congratulations on having one of the most impressive collections ever!

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Steve wrote:Thanks Bruce and Solophoneman!

Wow! How long did it take you to put that "little" lot together?

Congratulations on having one of the most impressive collections ever!
Steve, just to be sure you did not misinterpret the website, I only have two Berliners and one type A victor in that category. There are several pictures of each one though from different views which I hope did not lead you to believe I have 15 Berliners!

Regarding how long it took me to put it together I've dabbled in it for years buying, selling and trading up from time to time. One more note, the website is not very up to date. Some of the stuff pictured there I've sold and there are some machines that even though I've had them along time, I've never gotten uploaded to the site. working with internet is not intuitive for me!