[Semi OT] "Modern" Phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Neophone
Victor III

[Semi OT] "Modern" Phonographs

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

Someone was talking about more modern equipment on the 1st TMF. I had mentioned to someone at some point my parents' old stereo console. Well in December I got some photos of the old gal waiting patiently in their cellar for a new call to action. This old phono/radio console has a fantastic sound. The radio still works quite well.

Can you believe the sticker is still on the turntable. My father never takes off those stickers on anything. :) I'd love to get this up and running again someday.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: [Semi OT] "Modern" Phonographs

Post by OrthoSean »

Hey John,

That's one of the neat changers where the 45 RPM stack spindle "sinks" down into the turntable when not in use. I haven't seen one of these in eons! They're pretty cool to watch work and I think they're a VM changer IIRC (Greg?).

Sean

gregbogantz
Victor II

Post by gregbogantz »

John, you are in possession of one of the Zenith "split spindle" record changers in your console. It's a variation of the model 169-196. Sean, this was one of the last changers actually designed and MADE by Zenith. Later Zenith changers were made by VM and later still by BSR. The similar Zenith model 169-250 was the first one to use the famous "2G" ceramic cartridge that was the first consumer-grade phono cartridge able to track at 2 grams in a record changer. This cartridge was a joint development among Astatic, CBS Labs, and Zenith. AND the 169-250 was the FIRST record changer able to properly track at 2 grams force (circa 1961). Designed and made by Zenith here in the good ol' U S of A. No other record changer made anywhere in the world at this time could do this. The "split spindle" changers were among the best ever engineered in the USA - they employed both belt and idler wheel drive to achieve very low wow and flutter while still being 4-speed designs. Some even had synchronous motors. Most of the variations also included AUTOMATIC needle brushes that swept the stylus clean after every change cycle. A little brush would be thrust out of the arm rest to stroke the stylus as the tonearm moved during the cycle, and the brush would then retract back into the rest. Very cool designs - and you can't lose the fat 45rpm stack spindle - it's built into the platter!
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Greg & Sean,

Thanks for the info. This is something I'd love to get running again some day. It is a great sounding machine. Yes Greg you're right about the 4 speeds I remember some 16rpm children's story books with records or something like that. Sean, yup, I always thought that the folding down 45 spindle was neat-nobody else's stereo had that! ;)

I've got plenty of records for it too ;) all my folk's old 101 Strings records. :?

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!