Odd remnants for sale on Ebay

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Odd remnants for sale on Ebay

Post by estott »

Here are the remains of a Bush and Lane phonograph with a very interesting tone arm arrangement. http://cgi.ebay.com/Victrola-Duo-Vox-Pa ... 240%3A1318

I can only guess it allowed the user to switch between lateral and vertical heads without removing them. The Bush and Lane company made very expensive pianos and I've heard tell that their vertical cut head is an excellent design. Too bad the machine is kaput.

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Odd remnants for sale on Ebay

Post by JohnM »

I have a Bush & Lane lowboy . . . it is decalled Bush & Lane/'DuoVox'.
John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

This definitely looks like it was a nice machine...once.

To quote the listing:
eBay Item #310124577546

Victrola Duo Vox Parts

To be honest I don’t know too much about these parts. These are the names and numbers on the parts. Duo Vox, Bush & Lane these names were on the cabinet they came out of and on the tag reads “Established 1894 Chas. C. Adams & Co, Incorporated Manufactures, Peoria ILLS, 854.” Everything you see in pictures are what you get. Has duo arms and one still has the needle in it. Notice on the back side some tried to make it electric powered. Turn table not sure if it is original or not. Will try to answer any questions you might have. Everything together weighs almost 9 lbs.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

Here's a page about the Diamond Point reproducer: http://www.lagparty.org/~wyatt/duovoxpage.html

I'm going to keep an eye on this one. If it doesn't go high the tone arm and reprodcers could be interesting. I'd ask the seller to pitch the motor and turntable.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Although I wont be bidding, these look like interesting reproducers in a very novel set up. A different arrangement to that used by Victor for their acoustic / electric double combos. Let us know if you get them.

RJ 8-)

PhonoJack
Victor Jr

Post by PhonoJack »

You'd be getting your leg pulled on this one if you believed it to be anything but "old remnants". I'm not sure, but the motor looks like vintage 1949-56 perhaps from Alliance or GI for RCA Victor. It has a three speed idler configuration. And although some of these little motors can pull like a truck, I don't think it has the muscle to pull for the lateral or vertical reproducer. :cry: Ah shucks, no spindle either. :roll:

Have fun,

Jack

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

The tone arm and reproducers are what is attracting me. If I get them I'll probably graft them into some machine with a broken pot metal arm.

rvuill
Victor Jr

Post by rvuill »

This is fascinating. I've never heard of this make or seen this design of reproducer/tonearm. I'd certainly like more information about this brand and design. The attachment with the explination of how the vertical reproducer works is very detailed but a little confusing. I think I get it. Who is the author? Does he have a web sight?

rvuill
Victor Jr

Post by rvuill »

I just enlarged the picture of the reproducer for lateral cut records and the design is stranger than the one for vertical cut records. Anyone know how it works?

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

rvuill wrote:I just enlarged the picture of the reproducer for lateral cut records and the design is stranger than the one for vertical cut records. Anyone know how it works?
Not certain myself, perhaps the needle fits in at a right angle- another possibility is that it might be on the arm wrongly. I've put in a low bid & will wait and see.