Playing recrods, after 1935, on my truntable

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Playing recrods, after 1935, on my truntable

Post by Edisonfan »

Well, here it is, 1:00 am, and I just fitted my turntable, with my new cartridge, to play 78's. So now, I can play those latter 78's. Of course, I will now need to buy, a 2nd turntbale, to play my 33's & 45's.

Paul 8-)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Playing recrods, after 1935, on my truntable

Post by gramophoneshane »

Yes, you can play 78's from any year on a modern turntable (even vinyl 78's & acetates). You should only have to buy a stylus suitable for 33's & 45's though- provided the turntable has these speeds.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Actually, mine has all three speeds. Mine had a stylus, for playing 33's & 45's, but I bought a stylus to play 78's. Becuse I don't want to ruin the stylus that play's 33's.

Paul

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

If I understand you correctly, you have purchased a second cartridge to play 78's and that cartrige has of course a 78 stylus. I'm assuming then that the 78 stylus will not slip into the same cartrige you use to play 33s? I think you could handle it in the following way if you want to avoid purchasing a second turntable.

FIRST APPROACH: If you have two separate cartriges then you might just be able to put your 33/45 cartridge into second headshell and the heashell should easily come on and off. Probably this was the way that you must go because it was not possible to get a 78 stylus for your old cartridge?

Second Approach as in my case I have:
- 1 headshell
- 1 cartridge
- 3 styli , 33, 78(.27mil) and 80 (.35mil for DDs) which all three slip in and out of the cartridge easily.
You should be able to buy a 33 and 45 stylus to fit the new cartridge too.

It would be nice of course to have a second turntable and not bother with the switching if you've got the space for it though.

Cheers,
Bruce

richardh

Post by richardh »

Yes, I have gone down the route of having several headshells..in fact two were thrown in as part of the deal for my turntable. One was fitted with a microgroove stylus the other a standard 78 stylus (although subsequent to this I have bought another headshell with a larger tip 78 stylus). All I need to do is unscrew the head shell and select the appropriate one. It makes it easy.

This is a picture from the website of the turntable I purchased and I have been very pleased with it.

and these are the specs (look at KAB Transcriber II).

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/ttables.htm

It was an investment but it has served me very well. I needed a turntable that would play anything I could throw at it and it delivers on that - a very wide speed range (16 rpm to about 98rpm) and any size up to 16". I plan to buy more styli of different sized as funds allow! :D

RJ 8-)
Last edited by richardh on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

The cartridge does not slip in an out. I had to remove the one for 33's & 45's, to put the one for 78's in.

I do actually have the room for a 2nd turntable.

Paul