78's deserve their place

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

78's deserve their place

Post by Edisonfan »

Who says 78's arent' worth collecting? Not me that's for sure. Most of my collection consists of 78's. Sure I have some vinyl, but not a lot. Most people who collect records, collect vinyl. Mostly Rock & Roll, from the 1950's-1970's. Oh sure there was some great music from that time period, but what about prior to 1950? I know most of you will agree with me, that there was a lot of great music prior to 1950. Which deserves it's place in history, even if not a whole lot of people collect it, and it's not worth any money. That leaves more for those of us who love this music to collect it. I am not limited to music from 1900-1930. I happen love a lot of music after 1930.

Spike Jones, Andrews Sisters

Paul

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: 78's deserve their place

Post by Steve »

gramophoneshane wrote:you'll find there's quite a few young blokes that seem to have a genuine interest in the older music thanks to the game & this song, and they now want to start collecting 78's (& machines) too.
Thank goodness for that!

I'd planned to dump all my collection into landfill when I was too old or tired to deal with it anymore!

Maybe I won't have to now thanks to modern video games? ;)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I think anyone who believes collecting records and machines is for us oldies is wishful thinking :)
About ½ of my youtube subscribers are under 25, and a large % of those are under 21. That was prior to the fallout 3 thing too, so the percentage could now be higher.
They may not be buying an aweful lot now on their pocket money or wages from McDonalds, but I think once they get older & settle down with a wife, mortgage & two kids, they'll be the next generation of serious collectors.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

I certainly hope so.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I wouldn't bank on it.

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

No? That would be a shame.

Emidicta
Victor Jr

Post by Emidicta »

You'll at the very least have me and Aaron to dump your old stuff on :D .
Aaron, you can have the american machines, and I'll have the european ones!

Jokes aside, I've never met anyone around my age who's been interested in these things. Unfortunately.

Edit: Oh, was this my first post? That's nice.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Emidicta wrote:Jokes aside, I've never met anyone around my age who's been interested in these things. Unfortunately.
Out of curiosity (and if you don’t mind the question), how old are you?

I know we have at least two youngsters in our midst (Aaron and antiquekid3), which surprised me a little bit, but it’s nice to see younger generations interested in more worthwhile pursuits than I was at their age. ;)

One more birthday and I’m already starting to sound like an old man. :D

By the way, congratulations on your first post—we’re glad to have you with us.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

MordEth wrote:
Emidicta wrote:Jokes aside, I've never met anyone around my age who's been interested in these things. Unfortunately.
Out of curiosity (and if you don’t mind the question), how old are you?

I know we have at least two youngsters in our midst (Aaron and antiquekid3), which surprised me a little bit, but it’s nice to see younger generations interested in more worthwhile pursuits than I was at their age. ;)

One more birthday and I’m already starting to sound like an old man. :D

— MordEth

I'm 29 and most people my age are having their first encounter with an acoustic phonograph when they come to my house.

Separately, the record stores local to me in NJ/NYC are not even interested in 78s.

Phonofolks
Victor I

Post by Phonofolks »

Well here in the states my children, and some day grand children, may be interested in phonographs, buy they may not be able to collect due to the fact their financial resources would be applied to paying back the economic stimulus package.