78's deserve their place

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: 78's deserve their place

Post by phonophan79 »

Phonofolks wrote:Well here in the states my children, and some day grand children, may be interested in phonographs, buy they may not be able to collect due to the fact their financial resources would be applied to paying back the economic stimulus package.
Let's stay on topic.

operabass78s
Victor I

Post by operabass78s »

I'm 21; started collecting when I was 15; Found alot of folks through the first Old Time Victrola Board (the good one when Mark Best was running it) back in the dark ages.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Emidicta, Aaron, Antiquekid, Operabass, you guys starting early have a great advantage. Even if you don't have the money to buy alot, you certainly will learn alot about the hobby and hopefully as time passes you will have a bit more disposable income. If something comes along that is rare or a very good deal, you will recognize it when others would not.

I can relate to what you say re. "nobody my age is interested.... etcetera". To this day I am amazed that I can have a machine in my living room that would make you guys WOW!!!!! and when we invite guests over, most people walk in and don't notice it any more than they would a flower vase. Sometimes if it does catch thier attention, I offer to demonstrate however rarely can any of them sit through a two minute cylinder without saying something like, "Hey, that's nice. What channel is the game on today???"

It's the same in Europe. We have to admit that it's definitely a small percentage of the population that are passionate as we are about this hobby!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Valecnik wrote:I can relate to what you say re. "nobody my age is interested.... etcetera". To this day I am amazed that I can have a machine in my living room that would make you guys WOW!!!!! and when we invite guests over, most people walk in and don't notice it any more than they would a flower vase. Sometimes if it does catch thier attention, I offer to demonstrate however rarely can any of them sit through a two minute cylinder without saying something like, "Hey, that's nice. What channel is the game on today???"
Bruce, I reckon in another life you must have been to my house! Non-phono people who come to the house walk straight past my machines without even glancing discreetly at them.
Last edited by Steve on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Steve, all,

Sorry to sound like a "broken record" :D on this subject but it is so true. They are so far detached from our world that sometimes if they do notice it, they don't even know what to call it. Words like gramophone, phonograph and certainly "Expert Gramophone" are not even in thier vocabulary. Alot of people call them radios. One friend who comes over from time to time in spite of my valiant attemts to educate him, still refers to my "radio collection".

Before I was married, for a short time I was dating a young woman who I admit was not perhaps the brightest bulb on the tree. The first time she saw my Triumph, ( :? phonograph) she asked me , "Is that nostalgia? I really am into nostalgia.".....