Sonora Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phonofolks
Victor I

Sonora Phonograph

Post by Phonofolks »

Hi folks:

I am trying this forum to see if someone can provide me with additional information on my newest purchase. I recently purchased this Sonora the other day. I have not found very much information on this machine other than it was made around 1924 and is known as the Sonora Chippendale. It does have a wooden tone arm and an electric light inside. However, it is a wind up phonograph with some figured walnut on the front panels. I have not seen a Sonora Chippendale before and I have not found anything much on it on the internet nor anything in the George F. Paul or Tim Fabrizio books.

I was impressed to find out that the lever that supports the lid is also made of wood. There is also a hidden drawer on the right hand side near the turntable where it is filled with steel needles and cactus needles in original packaging. There was also a small rectangular box that opens that housed two types of needles for the Sonora: one said "gold needle" and it contains a small saphire on the tip that was strapped to the box and the other needle that would be strapped as well with the words "bone needle" however the needle is no longer there.

However, what I also found in the compartment was a very interesting hand written narration detailing the names of the previous owners of the machine and when they owned it. This is what the narration states:

Sonora Victrola: original owners: 1920

1) Mr. and Mrs. Edward P. Hughes, Chief of Police, NY City

2) Given to their daughter and son-in-law in 1929 namely
Congressman and Mrs. John J. Rooney, Sr.
14th Congressional district , Brooklyn, NY

3) Willed to their daughter and son in law in 1975 who lived in Severna Park, MD.

4) The sonora was then sold to a non-familymember in 1993 and then sold again in 1996, 1999 and then sold to me in February 2009

I find it very interesting that the Sonora stayed in the family from 1920 through 1993 for a total of 73 years.

I wish I could find more about this Sonora. Does anyone know more about this machine like how long it was made, how many were made and how rare it may be? Does anyone have a Sonora catalogue that identifies this machine? Thanks again for all your help.

Rick

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Sonora Phonograph

Post by gramophoneshane »

I can't tell you anything about the machine, but what a fantastic provenance the machine has. It's a shame more machines didn't have a written history with them. Being a console, I doubt they sold as well as their upright models. and the Chief of Police no doubt would have bought the best Sonora had to offer.
It was a great find!

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Have you considered contacting the family to see if they can provide any additional information?

I once bought a VV 4-40 in Independence KS at an estate sale and the owners son, now about 70, told me all about listening to it when he was young and how happy it made his Dad. It was really neat talking to him.

Steve

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

I haven’t found much information on this model online, although I did find something that might be of interest to you on eBay:

(eBay Item #200290885040)

I’ll see if I can’t find more information for you, instead of just an advertisement for it, though.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Phonofolks
Victor I

Post by Phonofolks »

Thanks you guys. I really appreciate your help.

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

Congratulations on being the owner of one of these elegant,ornate, top of the line Sonora "Art" Models here it is along with the specs directly from my Sonora Catalogue which gives detailed specs and illustrations for all the Sonora art models as well as their bulge sided cabinet offerings. It is a phonograph most collectors can only dream about having in their collection. This was actually called the Chippendale - DeLuxe !!!!!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Bruce,

Thanks for scanning that page—truly, this sounds like a top of the line machine. I did a quick OCR on the page and cut out the two graphics, so hopefully if someone is searching for information on this machine in the future they can find the catalogue page that you’ve so generously provided.

One thing that I’m wondering, based on the image that Phonofolks posted (included full-size below) and the drawing at the bottom—where did they hide the crank on this machine (or was it just not drawn in)?

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]

CHIPPENDALE—de luxe

Windermere

Woods—Walnut, Brown Mahogany or Mahogany.

Cabinet—Width 46 inches, height 37 inches, depth 24½ inches. Antique gold trimmings. Automatic Lid Support. Design patented.

Motor—Extra heavy double-spring, gold-plated; plays nearly thirty minutes or ten ten-inch records with one winding.

Motor Meter—Automatically indicates at all times number of records that can be played before rewinding is necessary.

Tone Quality—Embodying all the latest refinements, and with an all-wood tone passage, the result obtained is Sonora’s finest achievement in the art of sound reproducing.

All-wood Sound Amplifier, nine ply; Carved Wooded Tone Arm; Tone Modifier; Automatic Stop; Electric Light; Needle Cups; Certificate of Guaranty.

Record Accommodations—Envelope filing system with capacity for 100 records.

Radio Reproducer—At additional cost.

THE years from 1737 to 1750 saw the rise of Chippendale, who took beauty where he found it, never heeding the criticism of the style purist. Successful during his lifetime his has ever been the guiding influence for others who have followed him.

The Chippendale Sonora reflects this master at his best and its delightful simplicity of line and softness of coloring will commend it most highly to all who admire Chippendale’s marvelous handiwork.

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Phonofolks
Victor I

Post by Phonofolks »

Thanks guys for all your help. This is invaluable information. Thank you so much. Regarding the crank, if you look straight at the machine facing the picture,the crank is on the right side of the cabinet.

Rick

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

Where does the door covering the grill & horn go? does it slide in and disappear under the horn? By the way this rare find was one of 12 "De Luxe" top of the line Art Models offered by Sonora, there were no models higher in quality of workmanship in the Sonora Line !!There were some much fancier editions above the Chippendale, including the Italian Renaissance Bardini, the Italian Renaissance Milano, the English Renaissance Edgemoor, The Louis XV DuBarry, The Gothic Normandy, The Hepplewhite Traymore, and the Jacobean Robespierre, and than Chippendale Windermere. These Art Models are very very seldom seen, and when they do surface are usually seen at some notable auction Gallery like Skinners. Again, you were indeed extremely fortunate to find one of these. I would love to hear the story about how you acquired this extremely rare gem.

Phonofolks
Victor I

Post by Phonofolks »

Bruce:

Believe it or not I picked it up at a local auction nor was the sonora verbally advertised. My wife likes to collect certain children's dishes and this auction was selling a set of dishes she wanted to preview. When we arrived at the preview the dishes were not there, but I saw the phonograph. I noticed how nice it looked, but honestly, I was somewhat hesitant bidding on it due to its size, it being a lowboy and being a Sonora. Then I said what the heck and decided to leave a bid. I was surprised to find out later in the day that my bid was successful. The auction house had no idea what they had so it was not advertised as such. This purchase was just a stroke of luck.

I again thank you Bruce for taking the time to research this infomration and for you and David to upload the information on this forum.

Rick