Songs for Little People

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Songs for Little People

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

I meant to post this earlier for Zeppy. Here's the album cover of one of the three sets of the Berliner Songs for Little People Series from 1923. The record label is the electrical re-make, sung by Lewis James..and not the one that would have come with this album originally. The first versions were done by Harold Harvey. Berliner and later Victor of Canada pushed these sets every Christmas...but one rarely sees any of them. I suspect they were played to death. The album has the text of the nursery rhymes, of course. I'm sure Victor had records for children, but I don't know if they came in an album.

Jim

phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: Songs for Little People

Post by phonophan79 »

This is new to me, thanks for sharing!

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I actually have one of the "songs for little people" records. I'm not sure if it was a Canadian release or not (I'll have to double check when I get home), and I certainly have never seen the cover for it (thanks! I didn't know it had special packaging).

for some reason, I seem to recall it was part of a multi record set? Again, I'll have to double check mine when I get home.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I've got "The Three Bears" story on blue Amberol. Yes they managed to squeeze that whole story into a 4 min recording! At some point, hopefully before Zeppy's Sophie learns to read, I will figure out how to upload it. Perhaps I can film it playing and upload to Youtube.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Jim, thats a great set. The cover is in fantastic condition. You really should get david to add that disk label to the label collection he is amassing - that is a very decorative one and so much more interesting than the usual black label type!

Bruce - yes please. That would be very interesting to hear that cylinder to find out how they managed to squeeze it all into 4 mins! The extra bonus would be to see it on one of your great machines.

RJ 8-)

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

richardh wrote:You really should get david to add that disk label to the label collection he is amassing - that is a very decorative one and so much more interesting than the usual black label type!
RJ,

I was already planning on doing a transparency of it—that’s a really interesting label, I like how they have the children’s story artwork on the side.

I might also try a vector trace of the HMV line-drawing logo against the white, although that would be easier with a much larger scan.

Jim: Thanks for sharing this with us! :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Valecnik wrote:I've got "The Three Bears" story on blue Amberol. Yes they managed to squeeze that whole story into a 4 min recording! At some point, hopefully before Zeppy's Sophie learns to read, I will figure out how to upload it. Perhaps I can film it playing and upload to Youtube.
That would work :)
I've got a "ruff ruff" copy on youtube, but it sounds terrible.
You don't have "The Story of Chicken Little" do you? I've never heard that cylinder.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

No, I dont have chicken little. Acutally it's interesting what you say about the quality of the one you have on Youtube. My cylinder is mint, in the original box with correct lid but still does not sound great, a little bit soft and noticeable surface noise.