The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cecilian Melophonic Reproducer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:33 pm 
Victor Jr
I recently purchased a portable cecelian phonograph, but the "Melophonic" reproducer seems to have issues. When it is playing records it has a nasty rattling sound, which I assume is a problem with the diaphragm. Im guessing this is their version of the orthophonic reproducer. I was wondering if this is repairable, but my main question is how do you actually get the darn thing open to look inside?

Post subject: Re: Cecilian Melophonic Reproducer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:17 pm 
Victor IV
Most likely, if this is an as-found sound box that's never been serviced, it will need new gaskets to replace the hardened original gaskets, along with a cleaning and adjustment. Hopefully, the diaphragm, itself, is not damaged or punctured.

I'd advise, if you've never worked on a sound box with a fragile aluminum diaphragm, to send it to someone who has. (I ruined a couple of aluminum diaphragms in my early days in this hobby just by trying to open the sound box.)

One thing you can check is to see if the rattling is caused by a loose fitting of the needle bar pivot. I can't see, from the photo if this is adjustable or not. There would probably be a screw on either side of the needle bar pivot if it is.

In any event, check to see if there is any sideways movement or shake of the needle bar in the direction show:

Attachment:
Soundbox.JPG
Soundbox.JPG [ 31.61 KiB | Viewed 1702 times ]

If there is, and there are adjustment screws, see if you can turn either screw to eliminate it. Don't force them if they won't move! Doing so may crack the pot metal casing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:23 pm 
Victor Jr
Thanks for the info! :D There are tiny common head screws on either side, as you said, and each one has a tiny nut on it. Ill try some gentle adjustment and see if it fixes the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:39 pm 
Victor Jr
There is movement there, but the screws refuse ot move either way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:59 pm 
Victor IV
You might want to try a little penetrating oil or WD40 on the nut to see if you can loosen it a bit, before trying to turn the screw. If it won't budge, probably best to leave it as is for a professional.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:17 pm 
Victor I
Another possible solution to the dry gasket problem that I have used with some success on such sound boxes, is to pour brake fluid into the back side of the sound box, and leave it for about an hour, then pour it out. This is used by some to rejuvenate rubber idler wheels in tape recorders and turntables, and it has helped a rattling sound box I have. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:40 am 
Victor VI
I have good days...this might not be one of them
I think that (like the Orthophonic reproducer) there's a threaded ring on the backside probably used a special wrench to grab those semicircular lugs.