"Chinese Chippendale" Victrola 300 for sale $2000-

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
airgrabber666
Victor Jr

"Chinese Chippendale" Victrola 300 for sale $2000-

Post by airgrabber666 »

http://www.intertique.com/GreenMachine.html

Here we have an advertised Victor Victrola 300 in what is claimed to be an original Chinese Chippendale finish. I do not see the Victor lid decal, therefore I think this treatment was - at best - an "aftermarket" modification. The price does not make me happy, either. Opinions, confirming or dissenting, are appreciated.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: "Chinese Chippendale" Victrola 300 for sale $2000-

Post by estott »

I think it's a very good period aftermarket job too. The price is more than double what I'd expect it's worth, though.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

Definitely an aftermarket finish, albeit beautifully done. I also think the price is very far out of range. As Estott has already said, at least double what I'd expect to pay, if not more than double. The only thing that actually makes this machine desirable at all is the finish. I would probably be willing to pay $500 for it, but not more.

The humpback consoles are, to me, the least attractive cabinet that Victor offered, so my opinion of its value may be slanted

airgrabber666
Victor Jr

Post by airgrabber666 »

Thanks, gentlemen. You've confirmed my initial thoughts on this machine. I do appreciate the higher-end "humpback" or curved-lid horizontal consoles, and - although the Chinese Chippendale finish appears well done and probably added when the machine was new, I don't think that it increases the value of this VV-300 to more than double its market value.