Which Columbia?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
WDC
Victor IV

Re: Which Columbia?

Post by WDC »

The C is called the 'Commercial' and was advertised to be used for office and exhibition purposes. It could use longer dictation cylinders, all with 2-minute groove thread - so you could also use it with pre-recorded cylinders.

The reproducer is a 1902-style and not matching, though it should work. The decal looks to be a reproduction, otherwise the first impression is quite nice.

Norman

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Quite a machine, indeed.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Just checked the Hazelcorn book: The reproducer is matching and machine would be ca. 1905.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Nice machine...high price tag though - however is this what they go for now?

The spring on that thing looks scary! Wouldn't want to take that out to clean!

RJ 8-)

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Hey Richard, I like your signature line. Reminds me of another one. "There are two kinds of people in the world: those who divide the world into two kinds of people, and those who don't."

BTW, gang, this is my first post on the new board---thanks to massive assistance from David (a/k/a MordEth), who finally got the site up and running for me with my antiquated browser (Netscape 7.0). Thanks again, David and John!

Moooperator
Victor I

Post by Moooperator »

I would love to have a Columbia with the neat "Front Door' to the works. I had a BC once and it had the front door access.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Henry wrote:Hey Richard, I like your signature line. Reminds me of another one. "There are two kinds of people in the world: those who divide the world into two kinds of people, and those who don't."

BTW, gang, this is my first post on the new board---thanks to massive assistance from David (a/k/a MordEth), who finally got the site up and running for me with my antiquated browser (Netscape 7.0). Thanks again, David and John!
Welcome, Henry!

That quote is perfect in more ways than one here!

Both David and John deserve the utmost respect for keeping this all alive for the rest of us!

Thanks guys!

Can you tell I'm finally getting back into the swing of things around here? I'm almost up to 78 RPM, I think, a few more days and hopefully that will be the case! ;) (Inside joke, in a way)

Sean

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Henry wrote:BTW, gang, this is my first post on the new board---thanks to massive assistance from David (a/k/a MordEth), who finally got the site up and running for me with my antiquated browser (Netscape 7.0). Thanks again, David and John!
Henry,

I was glad to be able to finally sort it out for you—we want everyone to be able to both read and post here. I was very thankful for cellular internet in most of the places I was while I was in San Francisco (and I took quite a few train photos for John and anyone else who wants them, just as soon as I pull them off my camera).

It’s good to be home, though—I didn’t think I’d get much of anything done with themeing this place while I was away (the themes are a lot more complicated than ProBoards—which mostly only allows you to pick colors; here as you may have noticed between this theme and the other one—you can change the look and placement of everything). And of course, there are other settings to fine-tune, etc.

But to stray back on topic—are the Columbia machines that rare Down Under?

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.