Phonographs in Movies...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
beaumonde
Victor III

Re: Phonographs in Movies...

Post by beaumonde »

I don't have a still photo to show (unfortunately), but Mr. Bale also appeared in the 1993 flick "Swing Kids". Wasn't that mentioned as well in the older thread? About a group of nonconformist friends in Nazi-era Hamburg (1938), who enjoyed American jazz. Some great scenes with a portable wind-up, the make of which I can't recall though.

I wasn't too thrilled with the movie as a whole, however. It seemed to much like a made-for-TV low-budget effort.
Adam

3victrolas
Victor O

Post by 3victrolas »

There's also the tv series pilot for The Waltons, & it's called "The Homecoming". In this movie, it's Christmas & the Baldwin sisters are decorating their tree. One of the ladies says,"Sister put a record on the Victrola". One problem, it's not a Victrola, it's a talking machine. :lol: They play a Caruso record w/ a skip in it.

One of my kids showed me a scene in the movie "Sarah Plain & Tall. They're having a birthday party. & Sarah was given a talking machine for her birthday (why does that never happen to me ;) ) They all dance to the music too. Only problem here is that while there is that typical 78 rpm sound, the tone arm never moves across the record.

And of course, there is "The Color Purple". Only reason I watch that movie at all is for the phonographs. If I remember correctly, in one scene Celie is in the general store @ Christmas. I think that was a Victor III w/ a beautiful wooden horn & a big red bow around the cabinet for sale. Last but not least in the same movie, another scene has some sort of talking machine (can't remember the type at the moment). Celie & Shug play records upstairs in the house.

Wish I had screen shots, but I don't know how to do them.
Last edited by 3victrolas on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Hey Sharon,

Yea, The Color Purple has either a Victor I or II in the scene where they are dancing (they play a vertical Pathé on the machine at one point...oops). In the store scene, I thought it was a Monarch? I always notice in that scene the RCA Victor label on the machine, which wasn't to come into existence until about 8 years after the scene was supposed to have taken place. Oh well. Funny you mentioned this movie, I just dug out the DVD last night to watch again over the weekend! Great movie, phonos or no phonos. It also features a real nice Wurlitzer P-12 jukebox in the "juke" joint.

Sean

Fredrik
Victor O

Post by Fredrik »

Unaccustomed As We Are (1929) was the first "talkie" featuring Laurel & Hardy. In it Ollie invites Stan home for dinner. After having lauded the cooking of his wife they enter the apartment which has a floor model talking machine standing directly by the door.

It turns out that Mrs. Hardy is less than pleased with this unannounced visit. She starts arguing, and trying to get away from this Ollie starts playing a record. This gets Mrs. Hardy even more furuios and she grabs the record and smashes it over her husband's head.

The she leaves the appartment and the story - and troubles - go on.

I have a very fine restored version of this film on DVD and would love to upload a screenshot, but I don't know how to make one. Maybe MordEth or some other tech savy person could tell me how to? (I'm using an iMac with Mac OS X, version 10.5.1).

Fredrik
Desperately seeking more storage space!

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

in the original sabrina, humphrey bogart takes audrey hepburn in a boat out on a lake... he plays her "yes we have no bananas" on a columbia portable.

there are a couple of edison cylinder players in that film, hidalgo.

I can't believe this is all I'm coming up with off-hand.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

The 1992 Dracula, directed by Coppola features a beautiful Edison Suitcase Home and later an nice early Zonophone, all operating.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Fredrik wrote:Unaccustomed As We Are (1929) was the first "talkie" featuring Laurel & Hardy. In it Ollie invites Stan home for dinner. After having lauded the cooking of his wife they enter the apartment which has a floor model talking machine standing directly by the door.

It turns out that Mrs. Hardy is less than pleased with this unannounced visit. She starts arguing, and trying to get away from this Ollie starts playing a record. This gets Mrs. Hardy even more furuios and she grabs the record and smashes it over her husband's head.

The she leaves the appartment and the story - and troubles - go on.

I have a very fine restored version of this film on DVD and would love to upload a screenshot, but I don't know how to make one. Maybe MordEth or some other tech savy person could tell me how to? (I'm using an iMac with Mac OS X, version 10.5.1).

Fredrik

Fredrik,

isn't there another Laurel & Hardy film where they have a phono in the engine of their car for in auto entertainment? Interesting that you mention these on DVD I have been eyeing up the box set of all their shorts for the past week. Its reduced to a rock bottom price...and I am very tempted! I know the wife will love them :twisted:

RJ 8-)
Last edited by richardh on Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3victrolas
Victor O

Post by 3victrolas »

OrthoSean wrote:Hey Sharon,

Yea, The Color Purple has either a Victor I or II in the scene where they are dancing (they play a vertical Pathé on the machine at one point...oops). In the store scene, I thought it was a Monarch? I always notice in that scene the RCA Victor label on the machine, which wasn't to come into existence until about 8 years after the scene was supposed to have taken place. Oh well. Funny you mentioned this movie, I just dug out the DVD last night to watch again over the weekend! Great movie, phonos or no phonos. It also features a real nice Wurlitzer P-12 jukebox in the "juke" joint.

Sean
A vertical Pathé on a lateral machine, well so much for that record. :shock: Umm, you could be right about that being a Monarch. I should review it tonight; that'll make Ken good & crazy since he hates that movie. I was so caught up in the general store whole scene that I didn't pay close enough attention. I was thinking how cool it would be to walk into a store & have a talking machine like that for sale. 8-) Thanks for the info on the jukebox. I wondered what model that was! Ha! Remember the hole in the roof & all that rain pouring down on it?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I haven't seen it in years (so I could be wrong) but there's a lovely old film called "September Affair". In one scene a couple in a shop plays a cylinder phonograph and out comes Walter Huston singing "September Song". Quite anachronistic, but touching.

Then there's the famous 1934 musical "Evergreen" :
"The old Ben W. Levy war-horse play Evergreen proved to be an excellent film vehicle from British music-comedy star Jessie Matthews. Our heroine plays a popular music hall thrush of the early 1900s, whose impending marriage into nobility is destroyed by the arrival of her long-thought-dead lover. When the latter demands "hush money," Matthews disappears from public view, but not before leaving her infant daughter in the care of her maid. Flash-forward to 1924: the daughter, also played by Matthews, is seeking work as a chorus dancer. An old associate of Matthews' mother, amazed at the resemblance between the two women, decides to pass her off as her long-lost parent, making a big publicity fuss over her "ageless" beauty. The younger Matthews confesses the ruse when she falls in love with a man who claims to be the older Matthews' son."

Anyhow, at the end there's a courtroom scene and a cylinder phonograph is brought out and Matthews character sings a duet with her Mother. Very sweet.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

I don't think any discussion about phonographs in cinema would be complete without the most famous appearance of all:
ziffel.jpg
ziffel.jpg (17.95 KiB) Viewed 8411 times
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?