Phonographs in Movies...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Phonographs in Movies...

Post by MordEth »

Zeppy wrote:I believe both crappaphone may have been season 3. I'm certain they used one in Utopia (the Prof. Yanna/Master's lab), and possibly one appeared in Human Nature/Family of Blood...I'm not 100% about the second, but I know there were two instances they used crappaphones (I suppose we'll have to start a tread about crappaphones in the movies).
Zeppy,

I think that you’re probably right on both counts, although there may well have been other episodes.

I’ll have to take a look at that later; at the moment I’m watching the 2008 Christmas special. I opted for that as the during-dinner entertainment this evening.

If you don’t beat me to posting them, I’ll start the ‘Crapophones in Film’ thread with those images.

By the way—nice to see VLC is working for you.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

MordEth wrote:
Zeppy wrote:I believe both crappaphone may have been season 3. I'm certain they used one in Utopia (the Prof. Yanna/Master's lab), and possibly one appeared in Human Nature/Family of Blood...I'm not 100% about the second, but I know there were two instances they used crappaphones (I suppose we'll have to start a tread about crappaphones in the movies).
Zeppy,

I think that you’re probably right on both counts, although there may well have been other episodes.

I’ll have to take a look at that later; at the moment I’m watching the 2008 Christmas special. I opted for that as the during-dinner entertainment this evening.

If you don’t beat me to posting them, I’ll start the ‘Crapophones in Film’ thread with those images.

By the way—nice to see VLC is working for you.

— MordEth

Just watched the Christmas special last night...and a bunch of specials on Tennant's replacement for 2010 (and the Wallace and Gromit special "A Matter of Loaf or Death" but that's not exactly on point).

I was a little disappointed that I don't think they did a Children in Need mini-episode as they have done for the past couple of years...or did I just miss it?

I may let you take the lead on the crappaphone thread. I should be reading for class tomorrow.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

MordEth wrote:By the way—nice to see VLC is working for you.

— MordEth

It's like a drug...I can't stop!!!

:shock:

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Neophone wrote: Here's a fun one from Our Gang

A Victor I or II maybe

How to fix your talking machine by Porky :o

Much more to follow.

Regards,
John

Actually I think that's probably a IV. It has the large round speed dial that was used on the IV through VI, and I think it looks like a 10" turntable that would eliminate the other two.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

And my final one for the evening...another Doctor Who (this time the Black Orchid (1982))

Seen in the background:

and up close:

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

Hey, notice the "crook" on that tone arm. It's the correction Victor should have done on all their pre-1925 machines to fix tracking error.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

brianu wrote:I just saw the curious case of benjamin button today... there's a crapophone, a weird round or octagonal shaped table model with a bad looking repro reproducer and brass horn... a woman sings opera with it as it plays...
Yes, Brian, I noticed that (and the excruciatingly "modern" sound playing from it). Otherwise excellent movie, though.

Adam
Adam

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

About 40 seconds into this YOUTUBE clip you will see a standup, which resembles an odd painted Credenza and then the image of shadow dancers, which is of course related to the dancers toy that was going around on the phonograph turntable. There is a whole great scene in the movie where Fred Actually dances with the Credenza? But I can't seem to find the complete scene on youtube. Maybe someone else will have better luck, it is really unique. But then again, Fred did so many unique dancing segments in his movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elFQwVWB ... re=related

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

I seem to recall a Columbia front mount machine in the "Ghost And Mr Chicken" with Don Knotts. It was in a basement scene of an old house (of course) and it actually played!!
You will also note that the Victor Porky is about to go postal on has what apopears to be a No.2 soundbox!!!

Edit: Oops. The Columbia AH (2nd type)from the Ghost and Mr Chicken was already posted, with a few pix even!!
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!

Fredrik
Victor O

Post by Fredrik »

Got my VLC up and running now (thanks for the tip, David!) so here are a few snapshots from Laurel & Hardy's Unaccustomed as we are.
The boys happily entering Ollie's apartment.
The boys happily entering Ollie's apartment.
Mrs Hardy grabbing the record...
Mrs Hardy grabbing the record...
... and smashing it over her husband's head.
... and smashing it over her husband's head.
Here you can spot one of the pieces falling to the ground. Looks real (and thus hard)!
Here you can spot one of the pieces falling to the ground. Looks real (and thus hard)!
Anyone who recognizes the machine?

Fredrik
Desperately seeking more storage space!