Phonographs in Movies...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Joe_DS
Victor I

Re: Phonographs in Movies...

Post by Joe_DS »

woonettophone wrote:Here's Fanny Brice, in "Be Yourself," at the Victor 7-25 in the "Breakfast For The One I Love" scene...

Love that tune!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlyzFJwiBv8[/youtube]

I saw the restored version of the movie about 15 years ago on AMC. That was the best part.

Joe

uberanalog
Victor Jr

Post by uberanalog »

Funny how neither Fred Astaire nor Fanny Brice need to open the doors that cover the horn for the music to come out loud and clear. Now that's star power!
charlie

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

Since this thread has been brought back I couldn't resist adding a classic Pink Panther scene wherein Clouseau visits his old friend, Agoost Balls. Can anyone identify the machine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHrAMX7S81A

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

My wife informed me that we are going to see The Immigrant at our local art theater.
So, I decided to viewed the trailer and there's an Edison Standard.

That crank is annoyingly far from the case.
The Immigrant_phonograph.png
The Immigrant_phonograph.png (198.82 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
James.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

I don't think anyone mentioned the "Danny Boy" scene from Miller's Crossing. It's quite violent, but it's a fantastic scene from an excellent mafia movie. In fact, my wife teaches it in her college film editing class. This youtube version is pretty poor quality though. I was blown away by it on the big screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x20TMRnPR40

And if you like that, here are some college students who re-shot it with nerf guns and a "$0 budget."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPGELZlcJ2E
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I have seen many Edison open horn cylinder machines in movies, but never a Diamond Disc machine. So I was watching an old episode of Father Knows Best on cable TV where Jim is remembering the old days. At the end of the show, he is seen in their attic with an Edison A-250 Diamond Disc machine, and he starts to wind it up with a smile as the show fades out. Unfortunately, I couldn't find this episode on Youtube, but I have it on my DVR. Here is the episode name and number:

Father Knows Best 3rd season

#72 The Old Days
Original Airdate: NBC November 7, 1956

Betty and Bud get embarrassed and upset when their parents want to wear 1920s style clothing to a costume party. Written by Dorothy Cooper and Directed by Peter Tewksbury

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Roaring20s wrote:My wife informed me that we are going to see The Immigrant at our local art theater.
So, I decided to viewed the trailer and there's an Edison Standard.

That crank is annoyingly far from the case.
The room with the Standard is used several times in this film.
One scene in particular the key character is sewing and listening to the phonograph.
The camera pans the machine it as it plays. So far so good.
It's a two minute player with a two minute cylinder on it.
Another character enters the room and the music continues.
Then a long shot capturing both characters and the phonograph.
Oops, the endgate is now open.

James.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I just watched "Union Station" on TCM (1932, with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Joan Blondell). In one scene, the couple is dropping nickels into a Gabel's Automatic Entertainer. There's a nice close-up of the mechanism. :)

...And if you like trains, it's a two-fer!

George P.

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

I remember and episode of The Brady Bunch where the father is trying to fix a Victor machine, but the spring is weak. He is trying to play Al Jolson.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I saw the 1933 film LAUGHTER IN HELL, and in the first scene we see an operating Multiphone on the sidewalk outside a country store.