Phonographs in Movies...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Phonographs in Movies...

Post by MordEth »

Here are a couple of stills from The Children of Huang Shi:

They appear in a short scene at 1:19:39, where the phonograph is used to distract soldiers.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnrOmaaLk50[/youtube]

If you look closely, you can see and edison machine.

Paul

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

There also appears to be a second silver horn next to the phonograph (@ 0:10)...

Anyone recognize the machine or the horn?

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Don't know if this has been added, but one of my favorites -- the dancing scene in "Rain," where the room spins around the phonograph.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4zfH62t4yY[/youtube]

From what I can tell it's a mid-size Victor, possibly a II or III.

Rain is an interesting early Crawford film, and it's highly rated by today's critics, as one of the best in the "Pre-Code" genre. (The sinner does not get punished at the end!) Interestingly, it flopped when first released in 1932. Apparently, the public didn't want to see Joan play, well ... a whore.

While Youtube has the complete film, it's full of motion artifacts, and out of sync in places.

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

Ortho_Fan wrote:Don't know if this has been added, but one of my favorites — the dancing scene in "Rain," where the room spins around the phonograph.
Ortho_Fan,

You’re the first to mention it in this thread, and thank you for sharing it.
Ortho_Fan wrote:While Youtube has the complete film, it's full of motion artifacts, and out of sync in places.
I think this is fairly common for YouTube with older film—a less-than-perfect transfer coupled with a bad encode will usually result in this, which is kind of sad to see, as some of the clips of old films that can be found there are hard to find...

— MordEth

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I got another one. That white-painted Credenza from "Shall We Dance" that magically plays at full volume with the doors closed . (No wonder it kept skipping.:roll:) The same Credenza appeared in a couple of Astaire/Rogers films.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VptJmxbKrKI[/youtube]

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

Here's a few more for your edification. ;)

First, Bright Young Things, 2003

In this scene a Noel Coward song is playing, a record presumably, yet the tone-arm isn't anywhere near the record!

In this scene the main characters dance around the bed of their friend who's been committed. Is this an early HMV 101 with the painted corners? Did the 101 ever have needle cups attached to the inside of the lid behind the tone arm? In another very quick shot there appeared to be something there, but I couldn't get a capture of it.

In this scene we have, I believe a different external horn machine, from the first one. This movie takes place in a fictional Between wars England so the director purposely muddled some historic points. Of particular note is Peter O'Toole's performance as potty old crank-very very fun!

Second we have Jumanji, 1995

Is that a Silvertone maybe or any number of off-brand machines with ornate grilles?

Third we have Pennies From Heaven, 1981

In the above set it looks like a Columbia Graf 100, A Victor IV maybe with the witch's hat horn, the horn of a little Columbia Q poking out and what might be a VV-X. Not to mention the famous portrait...

In this second scene in Artur's record shop bsides a bunch of very outdated records ;) It looks like there's a VV-IX, an early Columbia Favorite, and a VV-XVI maybe?

Finally ( for this installment ;) ) We have The Frozen North, 1922

An Early Columbia rear mount possibly?

More to follow........

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

John

Yes, that is a 101 above and yes, the very first 101's did have the needle bins attached to the inside of the lid.

Steve

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

OK... slightly O/T...

Not a movie and not an actual phono... but I saw this on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" recently as of of their bumps from commercials as screen grabbed from hulu.com.

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

Don't forget the three or four Edisons in "My Fair Lady" and the Victor R in "Evil Roy Slade!!!!! Both true classics!
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla