Victrola Gothic model on Craigslist UK! :-)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

Victrola Gothic model on Craigslist UK! :-)

Post by phonophan79 »

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Victrola Gothic model on Craigslist UK! :-)

Post by Valecnik »

Richard, Steve,

One of you needs to pry open your wallet!

I had one of these someyears ago, one of two I've seen before this one. Even had the orignal key. A beautiful machine but you've gotta have alot of space for it obviously.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Moo seems to think it's a fake listing, using pictures from a NY listing.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

It is an unlikely thing to turn up in the UK. I think Baumbach says there were only a few made, (25-50max). I guess anyone serious about it would certainly need to drive over and have a look before handing over any hard earned pounds.

richardh

Post by richardh »

I would be tempted if it didn't look like a scam. It looks like a great machine :D As there were so few made it does seem unlikely that one should turn up in the UK....with a photo identical to a NY listing in Craiglist. A coisidence...ummm I think not.

Having said that unlikely as it may seem a 9-55 turned up in the UK. Just think how few of them were made and how heavy they are. Its definately genuine as its currently sat in my gagare being worked on! I really must get around to doing a feature on this board on it.

RJ 8-)

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Richard, if you are seriously interested, ask them for some pictures. Also ask for the serial number. If it's between 500-550 that's a good indication it's real. They started at 500 and only made 30 or 40. The asking price is half to ⅔ of what it's really worth, at least in the US and it would look much more attractive in your livingroom than one of those Experts. :lol: (just kidding)

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Valecnik wrote:Richard, if you are seriously interested, ask them for some pictures.

Blah, that stinks if its a fake! ...but yes, asking for a picture showing the turntable is completely reasonable.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

There's a collector who lives in London (and who is a member of the UK forum) who will probably investigate it but I do know it's been for sale for at least a year and probably nearer two now. That says a lot.

Personally, I wouldn't want it even if it was genuine because it's just a very big (wide) cabinet with the same machanism and acoustic properties of any of the early table grand HMV's. It is really a Table Grand wedged into a long sideboard style record cupboard. Not for me really at any price.

I want a bit more bang for my bucks or space!
Last edited by Steve on Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

richardh

Post by richardh »

Maybe so, but it has a very attractive cabinet that is very easy on the eye (if not the wallet!). Perhaps I'm just superficial going for looks though LoL :lol:

RJ 8-)

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Steve wrote:I do know it's been for sale for at least a year and probably nearer two now. That says a lot.
Steve,

Has this been re-listed a few times, then?

I would think that it would be pretty hard to sell a fake machine on Craigslist, unless it were being shipped, because obviously you’d see what it looked like (and that it was not as pictured) when you met the seller to purchase it...

But who knows what some clueless buyer might purchase, perhaps sight unseen.

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]

Super-Rare “Wide-Style” Period Victrola - £1050 (London)

Reply to: sale-1011275135@craigslist.org
Date: 2009-01-28, 6:25PM GMT

If you’re in the market for something like this, you don’t need me to tell you what it is, and you probably know more about it than I do, since this is the only one of these I’ve ever seen in person.Nevertheless, I will share with you what I have learned about this piece after consulting with several well-known experts, the kind of folks who write books about these things.

This is a period Victrola, manufactured in the early 1920s (most likely between 1920 and 1924). The model number is 500, and the style is Gothic. This is what is known as a “wide” period style, for obvious reasons; these machines were built to order for customers who were able and willing to spend £500 - £600 on a machine at a time when even the fanciest mass-produced Victors sold for less than £150. If you wanted something really special, you walked into a Victor showroom, flipped through a catalogue, picked a style, paid in advance, and then waited three to six months for delivery. Sometimes you’d even have to pay a little extra when the machine was finished, since prices in the catalogues were only approximate; labors and material costs could vary during the construction period. It is believed that no more than 50 wide period Victrolas were ever produced in any particular style.

• It’s NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests.
Craigslist PostingID: 1011275135
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.