Victrola Portable on UK eBay

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Victrola Portable on UK eBay

Post by epigramophone »

UK eBay Item No.230696060874 is a Victrola Portable in brown with gilt fittings and an Orthophonic soundbox. I would have posted a link for this, but I don't know how!

Can any of our American friends please tell me what model it is, and whether it has a good reputation with collectors.

There is probably no point in asking for a valuation, as although it may be commonly found in the US, any Victrola is quite rare in the UK and the selling price will reflect this.

With a family member living close to the seller's location, at least I can avoid the £25 postage and packing charge.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Victrola Portable on UK eBay

Post by OrthoSean »

It's a VV-2-55 from 1929. They're nice little machines and this one looks really clean. They sound great, too, although I still like my HMV 102 better. I'd expect one that clean to go over $200, but you never know!

Sean

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I agree the 102 is a more enjoyable machine. The VV2-55's stubby tonearm design doesn't adapt itself well to tracking slightly off-center or warped records nearly as well as the 102. The 102's arm handles these much better, with less noticeable "wow."
The 102's automatic brake is a pleasure to behold, bringing the record to a quiet stop, rather than the little "bang" that happens with the 2-55. Plus, it works with nearly any record with a leadout groove, not just the eccentric Victors.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

syncopeter
Victor II

Post by syncopeter »

I fully agree with the last two posts. HMV always ways some were years later but their machines were of better quality and better designed. A 102 wins hands down from almost every other portable. Rven a 101 sounds better than most others.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Thankyou gentlemen.

I currently have twelve portables, including two 102's and an Electrola 106 which consists of 101 components in a 102 case. Over the years I have owned most variants of the 101 and 102, but sold most of them when they started making silly money on eBay.

My only American machine is an Amberola 30, so the Victrola would be an interesting addition at the right price. If I win it I will be sure to let you know.