most valuable phonographs?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: most valuable phonographs?

Post by brianu »

yes, I was really looking for some suggestions, based on the varied knowledge of a lot of people who post here, as to what they'd consider the most expensive machines floating around out there, disc or cylinder... I figured the latter would more commonly figure in the responses. and top five was just an arbitrary number, as I was really looking for what people would consider off the top of their head, if asked, what a few of the most valuable might be in their estimation...

and although I appreciate the responses, I really wasn't looking for machines considered "generally obtainable," such as victor or edison portable or table model disc machines, or outside horn victors and columbias. the fact that they're so obtainable kind of defeats the purpose of gaining some perspective on those few machines that are simultaneously super rare AND (unlike the ultra rare one of a kind sonora art models and randomly seen off-brands) extremely desired, such that prices reach heights that can exceed many people's annual salaries.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Exclude disc machines? what of the Edison C-1 (a radio-phonograph COMBINATION no less)? Within the past year an unrestored, though clean example sold for about $20,000.00 at auction. Then of course there is the already mentioned Moorish Marquetry VTLA, an example of which sold for nearly SEVENTY thousand dollars at auction, though of course much of the value of this machine is due to it's value as a piece of Islamic art, since the cabinets of these machines are among the largest examples of first class work of this kind.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

brianu wrote:that military "spectacle" machine is wild, though. I'd never before noticed it in all my times flipping through the books. perhaps it was some sort of prototype, experiment or presentation piece? because I can't imagine many having been produced, or why they would have bothered - what would you have played on them? or was the intention to start producing much smaller cylinders as well... but the recording lengths would have to be shortened considerable as well, to a minute or probably less, no? I can't imagine that being very marketable. I'm also curious as to the source of the "military" designation.
Everything is explained in detail here: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=5754

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Uncle Vanya wrote:Exclude disc machines? [...] Then of course there is the already mentioned Moorish Marquetry VTLA, an example of which sold for nearly SEVENTY thousand dollars at auction, though of course much of the value of this machine is due to it's value as a piece of Islamic art, since the cabinets of these machines are among the largest examples of first class work of this kind.
I wouldn't sell my Deutsche Grammophon "De Lux" of 1908 for less as it is the only one of its kind. ;)

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Uncle Vanya wrote:Exclude disc machines? what of the Edison C-1 (a radio-phonograph COMBINATION no less)? Within the past year an unrestored, though clean example sold for about $20,000.00 at auction. Then of course there is the already mentioned Moorish Marquetry VTLA, an example of which sold for nearly SEVENTY thousand dollars at auction, though of course much of the value of this machine is due to it's value as a piece of Islamic art, since the cabinets of these machines are among the largest examples of first class work of this kind.
Uncle, I agree, just wanted to get a little dialogue going. Still, I'm really surprised about the c-1 going at such a price. Could you provide any details, perhaps pictures? If the machine is clean and original the electrical restoration, (compared to the price) is not that much.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Tinfoil machines: If we are talking about a tinfoil machine made when they were current, I think $20,000 might buy an entry level one. Isn't a Bergmann a six figure machine? What did the last one sell for?

Doll phonographs: I would think an original Edison doll in good working condition with original clothes in its original box is worth between $20,000 to $30,000. The Berliner doll has got to be a six figure machine.

The miniature Military Phonograph would be worth at least six figures. Jerry Blais

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

$47,000 after the taxes last year.
Bergmann Tinfoil Phonograph.jpg
Bergmann Tinfoil Phonograph.jpg (32.13 KiB) Viewed 1028 times

New Owner
Victor O

Post by New Owner »

gramophone78 wrote:$47,000 after the taxes last year.
Bergmann Tinfoil Phonograph.jpg
Details or it didn't happen. I'm in the mood for a good story right now.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Valecnik wrote:
Uncle, I agree, just wanted to get a little dialogue going. Still, I'm really surprised about the c-1 going at such a price. Could you provide any details, perhaps pictures? If the machine is clean and original the electrical restoration, (compared to the price) is not that much.

You have obviously not worked on one of those d**ned multi-layered chassis with the crumbling rubber wire! :o

The C-1 sold for that tremendouls price at last April's Stanton's auction.

There exists (at Yale as I recall, 'though mem'ry may well have failed me) the only surviving example of the
Large French Gothic art Model of Edison Diamond Disc phonograph, which machine was re-fitted
with a C-1 radio-phonograph mechanism at the Edison Works in 1928 or '29. What would that behemoth
would fetch in the current market?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I'd have to wonder whether a C1 or Moroccan toilet would reach those crazy prices a second time.
Even though the first VTLA sold for $70K, I seem to recall the next one going for just over half that price.